• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

thoughts on a Broker?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

blueolive28
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westport, MA

thoughts on a Broker?

Post by blueolive28 »

We love our 2004 28TE, but the admiral wants to go bigger for retirement. Given the current market, what are your thoughts on selling without a broker? Having been on the other side of the table last year, I wasn't overwhelmed with the broker role and not sure he really helped to close the deal. The commission would really impact my break-even point so I'd like to avoid it, but don't want to be foolish either.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Re: thoughts on a Broker?

Post by carolmarie »

I believe the major contributions a broker makes is market exposure, and to a degree, sales integrity. If you feel you can drum up enough prospective buyers without a broker and you’re a good guy with some time on your hands, go for it. Don.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Albin 28’s sell very quickly. It’s a seller’s market right now. I think you’ll be able to sell your boat quickly without a broker and save 10%.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Ben423 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:09 pm Albin 28’s sell very quickly. It’s a seller’s market right now. I think you’ll be able to sell your boat quickly without a broker and save 10%.
Agree.

I found my 28TE right here on this forum 3.5 years ago, no broker needed, excellent gentlemen’s transaction and the easiest boat buy I have ever done. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Luvinlife
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rhode Island

Post by Luvinlife »

Post it here, it will sell quickly in New England.
blueolive28
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westport, MA

Post by blueolive28 »

thanks for the support and the answer I was hoping for. Hopefully, I won't need to sell it anytime soon; I really want to use it.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

A broker=lost money
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

blueolive28 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm thanks for the support and the answer I was hoping for. Hopefully, I won't need to sell it anytime soon; I really want to use it.
The HUGE issue you face is the new boat. There are many tales right now of someone selling - and being totally unable to find a new boat! My brother is a Yacht Broker and he's having a very hard time - there is NO inventory!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I'm not sure what is entailed in becoming a broker yourself, but I suspect it's less work than becoming a realtor. A big advantage brokers offer is posting your boat on Yachtworld. Years ago, I looked into it, and it was $600/year to list boats on yachtworld, but you had to be a broker.

A LONG time ago, several of the brokerages in Charleston would let you keep your boat in one of their slips for free while they tried to sell your boat. I don't think that's the case anymore.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

DougSea wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:11 am
blueolive28 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm thanks for the support and the answer I was hoping for. Hopefully, I won't need to sell it anytime soon; I really want to use it.
The HUGE issue you face is the new boat. There are many tales right now of someone selling - and being totally unable to find a new boat! My brother is a Yacht Broker and he's having a very hard time - there is NO inventory!
That’s what happened to me. Sold last October and still haven’t gotten a new boat. Not much out there. It’s a catch 22. How’s a great time to sell but bad time to buy. Once the market crashes (it’s coming) it will be a great time to buy but a bad time to sell.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff

Return to “General Discussion”