• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

security camera

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

security camera

Post by gmberkley »

does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/thoughts on a security camera, I will be keeping the boat in a slip at a fairly secure marina, ..........but...........I'd like to look into getting some kind of a camera to keep an eye on things when I'm not around, someone suggested a trail camera type, but not sure that is what I'm looking for. thanks.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: security camera

Post by Carl »

4BA69630-E173-4A50-92BA-79D5551A1E11.png

Several of us use these with good results. You will need to be in range of your marinas WiFi though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by gmberkley »

thank you very much, I'll check with the marina about the WIFI
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Carl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:57 pm 4BA69630-E173-4A50-92BA-79D5551A1E11.png

Several of us use these with good results. You will need to be in range of your marinas WiFi though.
Looked at this camera on Amazon and saw this blurb:
Recording Options] Choose where to record with options of free and paid cloud recording to your private account or MicroSD card which can be viewed on the mydlink app
So, is it free cloud recording, and/or paid recording?
(Confused, not an IT guy, gets confused frequently) :shock:
What powers the camera, 12 volt, and (or) 110 volt?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I am not an IT guy either. I strictly use this with its app on my phone to check on things a couple times a day. To do this costs nothing, but to use the cloud I believe it does require a fee. It is 120v
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Carl wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:36 pm I am not an IT guy either. I strictly use this with its app on my phone to check on things a couple times a day. To do this costs nothing, but to use the cloud I believe it does require a fee. It is 120v
Ok, shore power or inverted needed?

Thx
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

So, is it free cloud recording, and/or paid recording?
(Confused, not an IT guy, gets confused frequently) :shock:
What powers the camera, 12 volt, and (or) 110 volt?
Free accounts will give you limited storage space and retention. Usually 7 days. Paid accounts give you more space and 30+ days retention. OR, insert a SD card to record without a subscription at all.
I use the Reolink cameras which are very close to the one Carl mentioned. There is a solar panel option for power and there is also a cellular model if you don't have access to Wi-Fi. I have the Argus PT with solar. After a few months, no problems. There is a phone app or desktop client.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
real550A
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Florida

Post by real550A »

Another option would be the line of 4G cameras. They don't require wifi, just add to your phone plan. You can check them live, 24/7 from your phone.
"FOOL'S GOLD"
1988 27FC #454
157hp Isuzu 6BD1
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I have a 4G/LTE wife router on mine. Great for switching on smart plugs with a heater just before you get to the boat in the winter. Funny enough I was also looking at security cameras last weekend for the boat. Even something like a video doorbell would work and they’re normally battery powered with a solar charging option.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
hagak
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Maine

Post by hagak »

Norseman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:55 pm
Carl wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:36 pm I am not an IT guy either. I strictly use this with its app on my phone to check on things a couple times a day. To do this costs nothing, but to use the cloud I believe it does require a fee. It is 120v
Ok, shore power or inverted needed?

Thx
Keep in mind these are all powered by some power brick, which is an AC to DC converter usually down to 12V or 5V. If it converts down to 12V then you could make your own power cord using a 12V cigarette lighter plug(what are these called now that you dont actually ever see the cigarette lighter part with them). If it is 5V then it will require a little bit more effort to find a 12V-5V converter but they exist and woudl be so much more efficient then using an inverter to go from 12V->120VAC->back down to some low voltage DC.
vositis
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Emery Cove Yacht Harbor, CA

Post by vositis »

Honestly, if you have Wifi available, I would just set up a ring or nest camera with a solar option to keep it charged. These motion activated cameras will alert you if there is motion day and night and automatically record the video and send it to you and even let you talk with whoever is there.

If you have to rummage through the video yourself to see if anyone was there, or see what happened after the fact, then the camera is useless. A doorbell camera will alert you on your phone right away.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

We are moving to a marina 20 minutes walk from the house, but with only CCTV security, so I figured I'd reuse the Blink cameras I use when the puppy was tiny. They are small enough to not be noticed and connect direct to my iPhone. No instant call to 911, but picture quality is good, and all I want is retribution. Hope it works.
Also, frankly who's going to steal stuff off an '84 Albin?
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “General Discussion”