• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Single diesel operations

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Malyea
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Single diesel operations

Post by Malyea »

Long time sailor growing quite fond of acquiring an Albin 28 (maybe a 32). I’m accustomed to operating with a backup power source (sail plus diesel or twin motors). How concerned are you operating single engine with no backup? How do I get over my concern about operating offshore with one engine? Trust in the statistical reliability of diesel engines? Trust that a good PM schedule will be the answer? Thanks for your thoughts!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Single diesel operations

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Trust that a good PM schedule will be the answer?
That's pretty much the crux of the biscuit. That & the usual safety precautions, such as having an up to date VHS in working order with DSC & distress button and a registered MMSI number. If going far offshore out of VHF range for serious passage making then having an EPIRB would help too. But a well maintained boat & engine & making sure you have sufficient fuel on board should suffice.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I crossed over to the Bahamas with my single engine Albin, had complete confidence and 0 problems.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

If you only have one engine it gets taken care of. If you have two, maintenance sometimes gets put off and costs twice as much. There are lots of commercial fishing boats in the world that only have one engine. It's all about incentive.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Never had a twin engine boat. Mostly single diesels. Clean fuel, regular maintenance including a GOOD visual inspection often and you won't have an issue.
I put thousands of miles on the old Albin (1983) with hardly any hiccups.
But if you can't put your phobia aside, then get a twin engine boat.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

How far offshore and for how long? My dreaded Peninsular never died at sea. At the fuel dock once and at the pier. Never while underway.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Probably the best thing about twin vs signal besides redundancy is turn on a dime maneuvering & docking in tight spaces. With single engine docking spring lines & rudder kicks can help. But when it comes to prop damage from groundings a single with skeg hung rudder protected by the keel is probably (a guess here) less likely to sustain damage than either one or both of props on a twin.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Apollo Beach, FL

Post by Rondo »

Think of all the folks who work on the water EVERY DAY - nearly all have single diesel engines. The crux is like flying single engine airplanes - if you only have one, take good care of it. Dedication to maintenance, clean fuel, and air to run, an it will likely outlive you.
Rondo
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I had zero concerns over operating with a single and my dad still doesn’t. New boat does have twins but that just cuz I didn’t have the option. Way less maintenance costs and fuel costs. Thruster makes maneuvering a non issue. Although even without thruster it’s not bad.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff

Return to “General Discussion”