• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cabinet next to the Helm

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Cabinet next to the Helm

Post by gmberkley »

On my Albin 28, there is a cabinet with a shelf and drawers, the frame is screwed into the interior side of the boat. Behind the cabinet is the hot water tank and several other things that need to be accessed.

my question, has anyone taken the entire cabinet and placed it on hinges in lieu of continually screwing and unscrewing it from the interior hull, I've noticed the screw holes are getting tired, and was thinking this would allow easier, faster access, and alleviate having to install larger screws at some point...........

thoughts??
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Cabinet next to the Helm

Post by Norseman »

A picture or two would be great, not sure what “next to helm” means:
Below, behind, etc..?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

its on the starboard side, just behind the captains chair, these are the best two pics I currently have, one with the cabinet removed and the other with the cabinet in place but the doors are open, showing the draws and shelf, hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fairhaven, MA
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Perhaps an easier fix - I had a similar issue with 'tired' screw holes in the access panel below the helm. I removed the screws and access panel, built a little 1/4" or so pocket behind the screw holes with masking tape, filled the hole and pocket with Six10 thickened epoxy (self mixing tube), let it cure, and then re-drilled the holes. No more tired screw holes. I've probably removed the panel 10x since then, screws are still gripping strong.

Seems like a fair amount of weight/stress for hinges, especially where it attaches to the plastic frame. And it could rattle. Easier access though.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

That was my concern, the weight of the entire cabinet........wasn't sure if anyone else in the Albin world had a solution, I have other epoxy projects and could add that to the list, I was hoping a door on hinges was a viable option, the rattling you mention could be an issue also, maybe someone else will chime in and provide some insight, thanks Greg

Gregg
Fairhaven, MA
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Depth of that box may not allow clearance to swing out of the opening if on hinges.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

Very good point that’s Carl. I could possibly pad out the edges a bit. I’ll have to look closer at it as I have to take it out again tomorrow
Fairhaven, MA
Albin28McKinney
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Tarpon Springs, Florida

Post by Albin28McKinney »

i simply put in plastic drywall anchors and it has worked amazingly well. Screws tighten down nicely.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

plastic drywall anchors wins, the box is too heavy to hinge, and as Carl pointed out, the box is too deep to allow for proper clearance if in fact hinges were an option, thank you.
Fairhaven, MA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The drywall anchor solution sounds like a good one.
On my 31TE the dinette has to come down and a deck access panel removed to get to the hot water tank in order to bypass the tank for winterizing or service. After 7 seasons of winterizing the tank, I've had to fill and redrill a few screw holes securing the deck hatch to fiberglass with hull and deck putty a couple of times .. a couple of more are up for filling. I just might try bedding in some drywall anchors. .. thanks for sharing.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “General Discussion”