• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat Buying process

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

hagak
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Maine

Re: Boat Buying process

Post by hagak »

Norseman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:55 am
. also noticed the deck in the cockpit aft of the engine box just in front of the hatch to the rudder the deck had a good bit of spring on it as I walked across it. Is this a normal behavior of this boat?
That would be the inspection plate for the fuel tank.
I have not noticed it to be soft when walked on, 220 lbs Albinista.:shock:
Yep this section I had the most concern over, it was springy enough that even my wife who is a good bit less then me asked if that was normal. I did not like standing in that area because it had so much movement to it.

The other cracks in the gelcoat I agree for a 20+ year old boat you will have some of that, but this one just seemed to have an excessive amount and some to the point the hinge or screw head seem to effect their ability to do the job.
hagak
Mate
Mate

Post by hagak »

In the end I think this boat is priced a bit too high for the issues I saw at $79,900. The broker even made the comment that the seller has already passed on a few offers and was not in a hurry to sell. Well I am not in a hurry to buy either so not even going to bother with an offer on this one.
hagak
Mate
Mate

Post by hagak »

So the broker for this boat just texted me asking if I still had interest in this boat. NOTE: Just after I viewed this boat it went under contract. My guess the survey did not go so well. The boat had way too many cracks in the gelcoat even with its age. Also the spring in the decking around the fuel tank was not right. Guess I saved myself the cost of a survey.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Guess I saved myself the cost of a survey

If the buyer rejected the boat you can ask to buy the survey for half price, then you can always make an offer, reflecting the problems of course.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Norseman wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm

If the buyer rejected the boat you can ask to buy the survey for half price, then you can always make an offer, reflecting the problems of course.
Seller usually doesn’t get a copy of survey, buyer has the option of sharing it. So they may not have it. However if you can figure out who the buyer was you may be able to convince them.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:56 pm
Norseman wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm

Seller usually doesn’t get a copy of survey, buyer has the option of sharing it. So they may not have it. However if you can figure out who the buyer was you may be able to convince them.
Of course the seller does not have a copy of the survey. The previous BUYER paid for the survey and since he rejected the boat he is more than happy to sell the survey for half price, or whatever price the 2 buyers agree on.
(Did just that myself after surveying the first Albin 28TE I looked at. I rejected the boat and the broker suggested I sell the survey to the next buyer)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Fair enough. I was just clarifying for the OP who was questioning now the boat buying process goes.
Toolmanbob1993
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

Post by Toolmanbob1993 »

hagak wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:39 pm A few of the cracks. Note the last one is the area that is springy

I would definitely pass on that boat.

We have seen a couple and it has amazed me what people think is sale ready :shock:
2000 28 TE “Slow Ride”
mikegutshall
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deale MD

Re: Boat Buying process - Surveyor selection

Post by mikegutshall »

For a 28TE, can anyone recommend surveyors for both the NJ and the VA areas? Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Mike Gutshall
28TE Destiny
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

In Nj I would strongly recommend Reinier Van Der Herp… he did mine on the Viking and was very happy with the work. Easy to deal with too

Return to “General Discussion”