• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

120 AC failure

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

robienick
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: weymouth, ma

120 AC failure

Post by robienick »

I recently had an AC shore power failure. Instead of a red indicator light, a yellow showed up and the 120 tools would not work. I suspect a fuse has blown but I cannot fine a fuse block in the boat. Does anyone know of such a fuse block and where it may be located? My boat is a 2001 28 ft TE.

Robie Nickerson
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: 120 AC failure

Post by Tree »

I think the trip is in the switch. Try turning your switch on the panel off and then on again to reset.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
robienick
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by robienick »

Thanks, I did try that with no results.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Next place I would look is the back of the boats main power socket - mine used to trip and I found slight water ingress had caused the cables to corrode over time.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Robie,

Start by testing the boat outlets, then the cord itself and then the shorepower/tower. Only then will you know where your issue lies.....

Simple tester:
tester.JPG
110 tester.PNG

With 30A adapter:
shorepower adapter and 110 tester.JPG

Test the tower:
tower test.jpg

Test the cord and tower:
cord and tower test.JPEG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Rob S gave out good advice! One question is, what sort of breaker panel do you have? Could it be a ground fault issue? Is there a way you could plug into a neighboring shore power pedestal? Can you try a different shore power cord? That way you might be able to tell if the problem is in the dock pedestal or cable or not. Is anyone else on the dock having similar problems? Are your power outlets GFCI protected? Where does a yellow light show up? I'm no electrical expert, but a Blue Sea Systems ELCI panel like the picture above with double pole 30A breaker (ie can trip on neutral or reverse polarity faults, not just hot side faults) that I installed when I reworked my shore power system only has red or green lights, red for reverse polarity, green for all OK. Fuses if any are usually in the 12V DC switch panel for things like cabin & running lights, etc. Newer 12V DC panels often have breakers instead of buss fuses. If your AC panel is anything like the one pictured below have you tried switching off all the various individual 15A circuits & see if the problem persists? If the main breaker keeps tripping with everything else off then the problem is upstream. If only an individual 15A breaker trips & not the main breaker then you have to hunt down the fault in that circuit.
8027.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

If you know how to use a voltmeter do it at the pedestal and then at the end of the cord after it's plugged into the pedestal and not the boat. If you don't like messing with electricity get a non contact voltage tester and use it in the same fashion. If you have power on the end of the cord it's between the connector and your panel.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
robienick
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by robienick »

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. After disconnecting the port receptacle and the AC panel and putting it all together, Lo and behold, I have power to the AC panel. I have no idea why the problem existed in the first place, but all is now well in Albin land. Thanks again.

Robie N.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

And tight so good news all around.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172