• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trolling Shifter

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Trolling Shifter

Post by DownEast2 »

I purchased a 2001 28' with the Yanmar engine late last fall. It has a shifter type handle on the forward side of the seat pedestal. I have been told it is used to allow for a slower speed while fishing or docking, can anyone out there give me a little more information on its use?
Thanks in advance.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Trolling Shifter

Post by Norseman »

DownEast2 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:30 pm I purchased a 2001 28' with the Yanmar engine late last fall. It has a shifter type handle on the forward side of the seat pedestal. I have been told it is used to allow for a slower speed while fishing or docking, can anyone out there give me a little more information on its use?
Thanks in advance.
Curious what that is..?
I have a 2001 as well, it came with a separate shifter for gear and for throttle, but on the same base.
(I removed it and installed a single lever instead)

Post a picture..?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
captaingary
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Coral, FL

Post by captaingary »

Sounds like you have a Trolling Valve on the transmission. When engaged it allows prop to turn slower than normal , so you can troll slower when fishing. Never use at high RPMs. The lever probably engages the valve. Can’t believe it wasn’t explained during Survey.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Post a picture of the control lever.

Ditto .. sounds like you have a trolling valve. Trolling valves effectively put slippage into the transmission plates.

Caveats:
1). **Edit "Do Not shift the transmission in or out of gear while the trolling valve is engaged"
2). do not operate at over 1,000 rpm
Last edited by Pitou on Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Shouldn’t that say while NOT in gear?
“1). do not engage or disengage the valve while in gear”
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Carl wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:12 pm Shouldn’t that say while NOT in gear?
“1). do not engage or disengage the valve while in gear”
For better clarification .. "Do Not shift the transmission in or out of gear while the trolling valve is engaged"
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Post by DownEast2 »

So if I understand what you are saying, make sure the trolling handle is engaged before putting it in gear? So that sounds like it would not work while docking since its common to move into forward and reverse while maneuvering into a slip, he only time to use it would be while out in open water moving in forward only. I'm not much into fishing so I think the safest thing to do would be to lock it out somehow, so that it doesn't accidently get engaged.
The boat is covered and put away for winter so a picture is not feasible right now, sorry.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

DownEast2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:56 pm So if I understand what you are saying, make sure the trolling handle is engaged before putting it in gear?
No .. the exact opposite.
To engage the trolling valve: First put the transmission into gear and then engage the trolling valve
To disengage the trolling valve: Disengage the trolling valve first and then shift gear to neutral or reverse

DownEast2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:56 pm So that sounds like it would not work while docking since its common to move into forward and reverse while maneuvering into a slip, the only time to use it would be while out in open water moving in forward only.
You are correct that while docking you'll be shifting in and out of gear and there is way too much going on to be using the trolling valve. I do sometimes find it useful in some marina fairways, but just shifting in and out of gear to control speed is more than adequate.

The issue where one gets into trouble with a trolling valve is more so forgetting that the valve is engaged and powering up past 1,000 rpm. I installed a trolling valve on my 28TE and have also done so with my 31TE .. a true asset when fishing the troll, especially striped bass.

A couple of safety features that I have are:
1). A push pull control cable that has a twist lock preventing engagement without first turning to unlock
2). A large red light on the helm that lights up when the valve is engaged
20181215_144523.jpg
Trolling Valve Engaged.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “General Discussion”