• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mazboot moves to calmer waters - almost

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Mazboot moves to calmer waters - almost

Post by DCatSea »

OK, so I've moved our trusty 27FC to the calmer waters of the Potomac, in Alexandria - 30 minutes walk from our land-based residence. Dog is happy; Il Commodora is happy I won't be Bouncing around the Bay solo at my advanced age, and we'll have front row seats for the DC Fourth of July fireworks AND a private head on the dock (no tourists).
Here are some pix of the move, which went as follows: Truck from Deale to Ft Washington, then launch and quick trip upriver to Alexandria.; Arrive in Alex. to find large tree jammed into new slip after flood following heavy rains in West Virginia; couple of nights on transient dock, move to F05 tomorrow.
All good - dog likes new slip because it's 1 minute to the off-leash dog park. :D
67478304232__37F5BADC-A4FB-436E-A092-C0F6D88EA1D1.jpg
IMG_0231.jpg
IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0246.jpg
IMG_0247.jpg
PXL_20220520_160910704.MP.jpg
BTW - I'm working on trimming myself down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Mazboot moves to calmer waters - almost

Post by Nancy »

Great photos, beautiful boat! Congratulations on your new home port!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

Welcome to the Potomac Doug! Lots of great cruising here. Perhaps Merry Kate and Mazboot will run into each other (figuratively!). BTW, you'll get used to keeping a constant eye out for those logs in the river.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Burgee flying - Finally on her new home slip. Alexandria City Marina F05,
IMG_0270.jpg
IMG_0271.jpg
IMG_0273.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks, MerryKate and Nancy,
We are looking forward to cruising the Potomac., logs or no logs, and hope to spend a lot more time on Mazboot.
Hope to see y'all on the river.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

My one trip to DC was after some strong rains and I remember a maze of flotillas made of branches and logs. But no worries at 7 knots - and it keeps you on your toes! Found the river below the Wilson Bridge surprisingly relaxing for such a busy place. Enjoy the the new landing.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Every intention of doing just that. Getting the now-almost-grown-up dog used to the boat (again) in readiness for some (maybe) calmer cruising on the river. From what I can see, the weekends are bit of a zoo upstream of Wilson, but less so downstream. Looking forward to both ends.
One recent surprise was a Bale or Dole or of large terrapins (YES - these are the collectives for Terrapins) chowing down on foliage on the pilings. Sort of magical really.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

‘Bale or Dole’ - I had to look that up, and I count Turtles at a local pond on my lunch walks. Thank you. Turtles, bald eagles, water snakes, woodchucks, and bald eagles with water snakes - plenty to see just at the dock.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

In DC for a few days. Stopped at the marina Friday afternoon but nobody home (it was quite a warm day). Nice location there.
Wow that Carver two slips over .... surprised the marina allows it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That is so cool! Wow, being able to see DC July 4th fireworks from the water! Green with envy! :mrgreen:
"BTW - I'm working on trimming myself down."
I have found the best way to lose weight is to cruise aboard your boat full time for at least 4 to 6 weeks straight. It keeps you away from raiding the refrigerator & pantry at home, ha ha. Each time we do a 6 week summer cruise, whether Pacific NW, Erie Canal, or Chesapeake Bay I come home 10 lbs lighter than when we started. And promptly put it back on over the winter.

When we did our 2015 Chesapeake cruise our initial plan was to launch from Blades, DE on the Nanticoke River & run down to the Bay and on to the Potomac & up to DC and arrive in time for July 4th. But it was so hot & muggy (no A/C on our boat!) we scrapped that idea and stayed around the mid Bay between Solomons & Cambridge, Oxford, & St. Michaels, and cut the trip short to 2 weeks. We had already done a portion of Erie Canal and some of Block Island Sound in RI & CT. We had a good time regardless.

For the Chesapeake portion of that cruise fast forward to 13:02 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67QqvVgwgz8&t=1281s
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Hi Rob - Sorry I missed you. Ref the Carver; In my experience there's one in every yacht haven.
I'll be working on him in my cap. as a USPS Vessel Safety Examiner. He's a kind of occasional weekend live-aboard, and hopefully will come round to my way of thinking. I might even diplomatically donate some Spray Nine, Orpine and a deck brush.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Hi DA
Glad to see your notes and take note of your diet plan. Loved the 2015 video, looks like a "trip worth doing".
We are looking forward to the 4th this year. Last year the flotilla from downriver was ordered away from DC after the fireworks, which P-ed off many drivers who had been celebrating in the traditional manner at anchor. Despite this there were no incidents on the trip back.
We'll still have a great view of DC, but at a distance HOWEVER, Alexandria celebrates George Washington's Birthday the following week with a great firework and concert event about a block from our slip. We can walk home afterwards. YAY!

Just had my 2022 Vessel Safety Inspection; passed with flying colors. Yes, another VSE did it after we finished 13 inspections at Old Dominion Boat Club in Alexandria.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “General Discussion”