• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Questions about my new to me 1997 28TE.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kenyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Bristol, Maine

Questions about my new to me 1997 28TE.

Post by kenyoung »

In December I acquired a 1997 28TE engine box model with a 250hp Cummins engine. Pegasus is equipped with essentially with the same specs as other 28's of this vintage. A couple of issues have surfaced that will require some significant investments to resolve.

FIRST, the prop on my original Vetus model 2312 fell off in my hand. Lack of a zinc resulted in a corroded drive shaft and failure. I've not been able to locate a replacement and am advised that a Vetus BOW 4512D can be substituted without needing to modify the cylindrical drive tunnel. Has anyone do this successfully?

SECOND, my hydraulic steering is stiff with lots of play at the steering wheel. It binds at various points. My yard guy says he thinks it is the "helmsmen" module behind the tilt
steering wheel as the system has been bled and the ram operates appropriately. Has anyone addressed this problem and what did you do to fix it?

THIRD, a my speed numbers via the prepurchase sea trial found that speed at
WOT at 2750rpm was 17.8kts. Nancy noted in her description of her 1995 28TE that her 250 Cummins achieves 23kts at 2785rpm and 18.30 at 2200. This seems a significant difference. Has anyone a comment on this difference?

FOURTH, I tried calling the bridge operator on my fixed mount with antenna VHF in So. Bristol asking to open the bridge. He said he responded several times. I did not hear him and switched to my hand held VHF which was fine. The bridge attendant said he thought the fixed mount VHF had a very week signal; it was on Hi send. I'd not encountered this in my previous boat. I noticed that the antenna seems to have lost it's smooth outer glaze and is quite weathered. The covering on the wire from the antenna to the radio is cracked in places and the webbed shielding is exposed. Would his contribute to or cause a weak signal?

FIFTH, my sailboat had a fin keel. It turned on a dime at slow speeds. Pegasus has a comparatively small rudder, wide at the top and tapered going down. It turns, I cannot think of a good analogy to on a dime, sloooowly, sluggishly. Yard guy says that a more rectangular rudder, wide at top and bottom would improve things. What is the thinking on this among the group?

Any an all feed back will be appreciated. Thank you
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Questions about my new to me 1997 28TE.

Post by WillieC »

Point four. Get a new antenna. You description matches my old stick to a tee. Did USCG radio check after installation of new. Bang! Right back at me, loud and clear. Get somebody who knows how to solder the new PL 259 connector. Keep them there until you do your radio check.

Carry on!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Questions about my new to me 1997 28TE.

Post by Nancy »

Hi Ken --

Congratulations on your new boat!

Yes, Vetus 4512D is plug and play. We installed a new one last year when our old one died. Vetus tech support was very helpful . . . don't hesitate to call them.

Steering - I think you'd check the hydraulic fluid first. I'm sure someone else here will give you more guidance.

Turning radius - see pg 2 of this thread to see how we solved the exact problem you're having. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5580&hilit=steering&start=15
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “General Discussion”