• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rubbing strakes replacement?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Rubbing strakes replacement?

Post by DCatSea »

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere. However.....
Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing rubbing strakes on a 27FC. If so, what are the pitfalls and suggestions for suitable material and processes?

Thanks

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Rubbing strakes replacement?

Post by tego »

Doug, I replaced the outside strakes on mine several years ago. Mine ('87) has a 3"x 3/4" wooden backing board inside the hull that is glassed over with 3/16" fiberglass. I removed the old outside 1"x1" teak strake , which was all chewed up, and replaced it with a new teak pyramidal-shaped strake which is 2" at the base (against the hull) tapering to 1 1/8" at the outside rubbing surface. It's 1 1/4" thick. I have some old salvaged 3/4" ss rubrail which I polished up and cut to fit and mounted on the new strake. It is now SOLID, which a friend found out when he bumped it pretty hard with his aluminum canoe and got a significant dent in it (his canoe). It was an easy job, done in-the-water. Ben
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

Kinda new to the terms…. Would this also be called the rub rail?? Mine is dry rotted, missing chunks around the bow, where the anchor and rode was rubbing. The old version was a small rope insert. I’m going to try to use 1 1/8” rope or bigger for the new insert. So I’m tagging along on this thread to get ideas…
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Thumper, We're talking about the smaller rubbing strakes at the aft end of the hull and down, just above the waterline. They're only about 6' long. These protect the hull near the transom from bashing against a piling or other object. We're also talking about a 27FC. I'm not sure about the 25 but most power boats have them. Ben '87 27FC
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Good talking to you yesterday. I think I would use Ipe wood. Tuff stuff. You don’t have any bends there.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

OOPS!
Bit of a language issue here. Being of the British persuasion I now realize that what I refer to as a strake is, in the former colonies, referred to as a rail. I will repost this under a new topic: "Rub Rail Replacement??"
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “General Discussion”