• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Should we or shouldn't we? Albin 36

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JanandDaveF
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Lake Winni

Should we or shouldn't we? Albin 36

Post by JanandDaveF »

Hi my name is Jan,

My husband and I have been boating most of our lives but never in an older wooden boat of the this size. We are considering buying an Albin 36 and were hoping for some helpful pointers from experienced Albin owners regarding what to look for when we inspect our vessel?

We will be taking the boat from the ocean to a lake which could be a costly proposition without even knowing the condition.

Looking forward to hearing from You!

Sincerely,
Jan
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Should we or shouldn't we? Albin 36

Post by Nancy »

Hi Jan - welcome aboard.

I didn't know that Albin ever made wooden boats. What year is the one you're looking at. Wood boats can be an enormous money pit. Well, so can fiberglass boats, but wood hulls require a lot of ongoing maintenance. I would urge you to have the boat surveyed. It makes no sense to transport to (guessing) Winnipesaukee without being certain of the condition.

While waiting for replies here, I suggest that you visit www.trawlerforum.com. There have been recent threads on old wood boats, and you'll have to take them with several grains of salt, but good points are made.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
JanandDaveF
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Lake Winni

Post by JanandDaveF »

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for the kind response. I have since discovered that the boat is probably fiberglass, although we have not seen it yet. We are planning to look at it tomorrow. We thought we would ask for maintenance records however I think having it surveyed is a much better idea.

I see you are an experienced boater and have probably been through this process many times. There is a site that sells a boat history report if you give them the Hull ID. Wonder if it is legitimate?

I'll let you know how things go tomorrow.

Jan
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hi Jan --

You'll want maintenance records as well as a survey. Likely an engine survey as well.
You'll also want to know about ownership history. Has the boat ever been in an accident? Run aground?
I'm not familiar with a boat history website. I wouldn't waste my money.

Have fun tomorrow!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Post by jashmen »

Owner of a 1978 36 here. Happy to answer any questions.
JBrooks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cedar Creek Marina, Old Hickory Lake, Mt. Juliet, TN

Post by JBrooks »

My slip neighbor has a 1980 Albin 36 and the fiberglass is molded to look like wood.
JB
Floridays
2004 Albin 30FC
Perkins M265TI
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I believe the most common classic wooden trawlers are Grand Banks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but while Albin Marine is a Swedish company, only the Vega sailboats & Albin 25 pocket trawlers are or were the only ones actually built in Sweden. The TE series sport fishers were built in Connecticut, USA & the various classic trawlers like 1970s-'80s 34 & 36 ft & up etc were built in small mom & pop Taiwan yards as were other similar types like CHB, Universal, Marine Trader, etc. Same caveats apply to classic Albin trawlers as with those other Taiwan types, although Albin QC regimes may have been better. We've considered these types a few years ago & there are a lot of potential problems to watch out for. In the end we decided to pass on that option mostly because it would be a situation where the boat would be home ported over 1,000 miles from our home, precluding the ability to check on it on the off season. Will leave that to others to confirm or deny.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
GeorgeS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bristol, RI

Post by GeorgeS »

Actually the US Albin powerboats were all designed and built in a factory here in Portsmouth RI as far as I know. The factory closed in 2008 but. Many of the employees are local boaters here and can really tell you all you will ever need to know. So can many of the AOG people. I have heard that scuttlebutt about Taiwanese yards before but t hat is simply not factual.

GeorgeS

Return to “General Discussion”