• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular Diesel

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

fred7676
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: orient

Peninsular Diesel

Post by fred7676 »

Im looking at buying a 1998 28' Albin TE with a new 300 hp Peninsular diesel engine. Have seen a lot of mixed reviews on the engines on the web and figured someone here would know the truth. Thank You
Joe/Fran
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Kingstown RI

Re: Peninsular Diesel

Post by Joe/Fran »

this will be my fourth season with my 1997 Albin with a peninsular diesel and have not had any issues. The engine has 1200 hours. Maintence is easy with most things readily accessible. Parts and tech support are readily available through the company's web site Peninsular has been around for a long time and still going strong which tells me the engines are as good as others. I would not have any more concerns about buying a Peninsular than buying any other.
fred7676
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: orient

Post by fred7676 »

Thank You for the input
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Fred

I have 1997 TE with a 300 Peninsular. I have owned the boat for many years and have never had any major issues with it. As with any engine, you have maintenance issues you must keep up with it. I fish offshore only and typically travel 30 to 60 miles and never had any problems. Because of how far I fish, this year I have decided to repower and will go with another Peninsular engine. The owner Matt, is a terrific guy who stands behind his product. I have the choice to pick any engine but because of the reliability and the support of the manufacturer, I will not switch. I also read the comments from others when buying my engine but I can tell you that I did not retreat buying that engine.

Good luck with your choice,
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have decided to repower and will go with another Peninsular engine.
How many hours on your current engine?
Just wondering when an owner loses faith in a powerplant.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Fred,
Are you in Orient, NY? If so, you should come look at my 28TE. It's listed here in the for sale section. If it's more than you want to spend I don't care, I certainly don't mind you coming by as a "tire-kicker", be happy to show you around and get you more familiar with the 28TE in general..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
AmeliaMan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Amelia Island Marina FL

Post by AmeliaMan »

Hi Fred, I have a 1996 Albin TE 300 Peninsular. I bought it in Naples Fl. My first trip was 460 miles from Naples, FL to Amelia Island, FL my home port. We did the trip in 4 days with zero problems. I just had the 1,000 hr PM completed. The mechanic said he was happy to see the engine as it is easy to work on and all supplies are easy to get and priced very reasonable. I expect to put about 500 hr a year on it. I really like the engine box. We use it as a seat or a table and my wife uses it as a place to catch a few rays especially when we are out of sight. We plan on spending some time on the hook something we could not due with our 6 previous boats. She handles easily and cruses at about 18 K. I added a safety on the windless as none was available when she was built. Be sure to test the hull and deck for soft spots. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll reply if I know the answer or suggest a place to look.
Good luck
filer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by filer »

Thank you for your post. But you are replying to a post from 2014. Fred hasn't been active since then.
EBlake
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Melbourne FL

Post by EBlake »

Amelia Man - Where are you getting parts? Please advise at your first convenience.

Return to “General Discussion”