• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Average age of a 28 TE owner?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Average age of a 28 TE owner?

Post by gfuller »

Hey all!

I'm a proud new owner of a 1999 Yanmar Albin. I just watched a youtube video of a rendezvous in the NW (https://youtu.be/sWrWN9M3ZFM) it was hilarious by the way, had myself, my 8 year old daughter and wife cracking up in the first 2 minutes.

So without offense, I say it seems like most of the members are potentially older than my family by a couple of decades. Am I a rare breed here? I love these boats and have sought them out for the last few years. We are avid fishermen(women) and found no other boat that has compared as far as efficiency, luxury, fishability, attraction etc... and the cabin accommodations are excellent for the size. I am an avid DIYer and love the challenge of making our "new" boat perfect.

BTW - I'm 32, non-trust fund baby with a passion for fishing and exploration and appreciation for a well-built boat!
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Average age of a 28 TE owner?

Post by WillieC »

Good on you, gfuller! I should have started much younger, having been born in Seattle with an uncle who built and raced hydroplanes on Greenlake in the sixties with my dad as the engine mechanic. Now we live in the house my folks built on the Canal and we decided how could we live here and not have a boat! Lots of reasons it took this long, but here we are and loving it. How does the saying go? You're only as young as you think you are, or something like that.
Just don't hold our 'maturity' against us. I am all for building bridges, not walls. Your last sentence says it all. Thanks!

Oops, ours is an A25. A little geezer selective memory slipped in there. I can see why you whippersnappers would go for the 28TE. Always in a hurry....kids.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I'll be 40 this year. I imported my 28TE into the UK four years ago this August.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

WillieC wrote:Just don't hold our 'maturity' against us. I am all for building bridges, not walls.
Quite the contrary, Willie! The one and only thing that makes a good captain is experience. I still have a lot to learn and enjoy doing so. Honestly, it's a compliment. In my experience, the "younger" crowd is attracted to more of the lake boat style cruisers. I'm glad this boat deal is done because if I hear another one of my "friends" say "Just get a SeaRay" I'm going to lose it! And no, the SeaRay Amberjack is NOT a fishing boat.

I guess a more appropriate Thread subject would be "What do you use your Albin for?" These boats are truly universal cruisers/fishing machines and it's interesting to see what everyone is using them for and what their appeal is among different owners.

I love your last sentence, and hey, the only reason I need to be faster is because I'm making a 120 mile round trip to the fishing grounds :)

Tree:

That is awesome. I can't imagine you see too many of these "across the pond". Congrats!
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I have the same impression that Albins appeal to older, more experienced and knowledgeable boaters. When I started looking for my first one several years ago the owners of the boats I looked at were either giving up boating because of age, in a nursing home and the boat was being sold by the significant other, or already dead. It was a little disconcerting but I had no interest in the popular fishing boats with triple outboards and speeds of 60 mph. The owner of the 97 model I purchased was a younger navy officer that had been transferred from Norfolk, VA where we lived at the time. I am now 73 and hope I will be able to enjoy my 2005 model for many more years.
I think you will be very happy with the 28 as a fishing boat. Everyone I take out remarks at how comfortable the ride is and how well suited it is for fishing. We also do picnic runs and cocktail hour on the hook watching the sunset. A great family boat not only for the comfort but the safety of the deep cockpit for the children (grandchildren). :D
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Me and my wife are in the same age bracket as you gfuller. Im turning 34 this year and will be my second full (ish, long story) year with the albin. My other boat is a small cat boat for running around the bay (taking nieces and nephews swimming) and inshore fishing mostly. but the albin is the one we run the most. We wanted a safe boat with good amenities that could take what the ocean can dish out. I look at these little go fast and cruisers and I don't understand what people see in them. .

Both of us are old salts despite our age. I grew up on whalers and she grew up on cruising sailboats so we both know what makes a good ocean boat. Plus its nice to slow down and take in the sights! I will say when Im out on the 28 I get more second looks and waves than any other boat ive been on or owned.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Russell you absolutely have many years left of boating! You already have twice the season as us northerners :)
You're absolutely right, when I was searching for boats there were a lot of nursing home scenarios etc... in fact, the boat I bought was from a 70-year-old gentleman who simply used it for booze cruising the inner harbor. He gave it up as he wanted to downsize and didn't really need a very seaworthy boat where he was using it, but he did state that he loved it.

Jeremy - that's great to hear there are some other "kids" out there that are enjoying these as well! This is my 8th real (over 17') boat in the last 11 years. It took us a while to find the right type of boat. We tried center consoles, many different size walk arounds, etc... The walkarounds were nice but too small for the 3 of us to sleep/hangout comfortably. We make long runs and I don't want to push more boat through the water than we actually need while fishing. This has a great cabin size for the length. I think if we were to upgrade it would be to the 31 or 35 but I really have no intention to upgrade in the next few years (which is a long time considering our past boat history!).
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

My soon-to-be-wife and I hope to be closing on a 2003 Albin 28 at the end of the month. I'll be 31 next month and she is 29 so we are pretty close.

We have been caught in some rough weather in the past cruising and tuna fishing so the replacement for our Grady had to have a more secure feel to it. We also shopped with an eye towards safety with young kids in the future.

Not in the trust fund category here either, we just both work very hard and have chosen to drive older cars and live in a smaller home to be able to afford travel and experiences.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Well not to date myself but born 1959 and have been boating many many years. We love out little pickup truck as I call her. Safe and stable and affordable to slip and maintain. I don't like being in a go fas vessel anylonger. And the Mikelson I just helped deliver to Cabo sipped fuel at 10 knots. Very comfortable ride!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Jaredh wrote:My soon-to-be-wife and I hope to be closing on a 2003 Albin 28 at the end of the month. I'll be 31 next month and she is 29 so we are pretty close.

We have been caught in some rough weather in the past cruising and tuna fishing so the replacement for our Grady had to have a more secure feel to it. We also shopped with an eye towards safety with young kids in the future.

Not in the trust fund category here either, we just both work very hard and have chosen to drive older cars and live in a smaller home to be able to afford travel and experiences.

Good for you Jared!!! You're right around the corner in Falmouth! perhaps we'll see you out on the water. Where are you going to keep your Albin?

We make the same sacrifices, while all of our other friends in Scarborough spend well over $400k on a house and we watch it kill them financially we decided to keep it modest and spend money on things we truly enjoy.

So the 2003 must be the flush deck, where are you having it shipped from?

Congrats!
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

catalina_mike wrote:Well not to date myself but born 1959 and have been boating many many years. We love out little pickup truck as I call her. Safe and stable and affordable to slip and maintain. I don't like being in a go fas vessel anylonger. And the Mikelson I just helped deliver to Cabo sipped fuel at 10 knots. Very comfortable ride!

Mike, you're still just a pup yourself.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

Sounds like you're right in the neighborhood GFuller. We live in Scarborough but will be keeping the boat at PYC in Falmouth.

The boat is a flush deck, and if all goes according to plan with the survey and sea trail we hope to be driving it up on its own bottom from RI at the end of April.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Wow! what a small world it is.

I actually bought a trailer for mine and it's at our house.

That's going to be a nice trek back up the coast. We're planning a few trips south this summer to Stellwagon and some other fishing grounds as well as Boston to hang out for a couple of days.

Did you get the Perkins or Yanmar? I almost went for a 2005 flush deck with the Yanmar but decided to go with the classic engine box style. That's nice you're able to find one close.

You'll have to keep in touch - we make many trips out to the ledges and it's always fun to buddy boat.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Look out for the PC police. They'll say you ageist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and racist.
Jack - veteran of the Spanish American War.
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gfuller »

Well put Jack, LOL.
I do realize now that the subject title is probably in poor taste, a bit bold if you will. I'm truly not trying to profile - maybe it was all of those statistics classes I took years ago. I see where it could be considered a bit too personal and my apologies... This forum and everyone on it has been more than helpful. You all bring a wealth of knowledge to newbies like myself and it is hugely appreciated! I think I can speak for many that it's good to know our/my taste in boats is validated by those who are much more experienced in this hobby/sport/way of life.

Return to “General Discussion”