• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The 31 gas gauge reading low

kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

The 31 gas gauge reading low

Post by kowal_53 »

I suspect I have a loose connection, my gauge is reading a 1/4 tank low. When I put my Albin into winter storage it was working fine. Since it is likely to show up again, I was winding how I might get/find the fuel pickup on my Albin. I have looked and can not see it on top of any one of my 3 tanks. It looks like I will have to pull up the big deck panel in the rear deck, the one with the center storage bin. Do these come up easy, or are they hard to get out?
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
jointventure
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Montauk , Long Island, NY

Re: The 31 gas gauge reading low

Post by jointventure »

I had to remove the deck panel to replace the fuel sender and it was very difficult. Remove as much of the caulking/sealant around the panel.There will remain some between the panel and the deck flange which is the problem.I ended up placing a hydraulic bottle jack between the panel and the hull stringer with appropriate wood spacers to distribute the load. It took significant force before the panel released from the sealant .
The sender is from Centroid Products , Edgewater,Florida. 386-423-3574.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Joint Venture
31TE 2000
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

If I open the small hatch at the base of the rear doors, i can see the wires running back to the fuel sender. I can reach in and feel the spade terminals and some extra wire looped and zip tied. I must have some corrosion in the terminal connections. My gauge started floating up and down by a 1/4 of a tank. By squeezing and pressing on the spade terminal I’ve been able to stop that but I’m sure that’s temporary. With a camera and snips I may be able to cut the zip tie and maybe there’s enough wire to pull the connections out to where i can clean them up. It’s on the winter to-do list. Hope to use a small snake video camera to get a good look but there is access, sort of, by lifting the hatch over the trans.
Good luck.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

Turned out to be a bad fuel sensor. Getting the large hatch out was a bit much to deal with though.
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

How we removed the 4 x 6 panel.

We cut the silicone with a utility knife. Removed the screws on the panel. My strong boat mechanic climbed down through the access hatch, and lifted the back end of the lip of the access hatch/panel on the from behind, and with bent knee lifted. until the silicone broke free.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”