• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Tank Replacement 28te

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement 28te

Post by Tree »

My tank was replaced in 2006 when the boat was still in Highlands NJ. It doesn’t have inspection hatches so far as I remember. I had the deck off last year to re seal it. It wasn’t made by the original fabricators but did have the builders details on it. Who, I can’t remember off hand.

One thing I do know with aluminium tanks is that diesel big can attack the welds so for preventative measures it’s always worth putting an additive in the fuel.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: sarasota

Post by boatruptcy »

Norseman wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:53 pm Getting a new tank built, are you adding inspection plates or modifying in any way? (Bigger)
No, considered making it larger but I have a piece of plywood that supports the fiberglass hatch so I would have to remove that if I widened the tank.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

On our 31TE the two outer tanks on the outside edges wore through the welds from sitting on the Fiberglass hull. Surprised the Fiberglass was harder than the aluminum. We cut the edges off and tapered the tanks to fit the angle of the hull. We should have put inspection
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Hatched in at the time but we did not think of it. But this is what we ended up with.Both the outer tanks were leaking. The centre one was fine.
Sorry about the double post. Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

boatruptcy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:26 pm
Sisu22 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:02 am Is it generally cheaper to replace the whole tank than to repair it locally? My take is a 1994 and much more like Boatruptcy's drawing. No access port other than where the sender / vent / pickup / return lines go in.

Has anyone done a sight tube with this tank?
I don't personally want to go through the effort of removing and repairing and reinstalling, I would never trust it again. It's $1500 including shipping for new one and the first one lasted twenty years so I think it's reasonable to replace. I thought about site tube but no real good place to put it on my set up.
Wow that sounds very reasonable for the new tank.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I posted up a drawing done by my local welder for a new tank for my 98. I moved the pickups and return lines. The drawing should be in the documents section of the forum. Once I moved the pickups back I cut an access hatch over them so I have easy access for maintenance. I was gonna put in a sight tube but decided to use that port as a separate pickup for the gen set
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boatruptcy »

Forgot to update this thread. Fuel tank went in with no problems other than the manufacturer installing the brackets in the wrong place, took some flat stock and bolted through their flanges and the stringers and 5200 everything down on the poly strips. I also built a platform that allows the tank to rest between the stringers (not pictured).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boatruptcy »

a couple more...
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Post by Rx-scape »

What was the final results of your Fuel Tank Replacement?? Where was the leak, what caused it. I have 2002 TE28 that has developed fuel leak on starboard stringer, only about a cupful a week with a full tank. It took a long time to rule out hoses and fittings for the filters and flo scan and vent hoses. Pretty sure it is on the stringer of starboard side, a weld or pin hole in the tank?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”