• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE Flush deck

dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Baldwin, NY

28 TE Flush deck

Post by dgetswet »

I purchased my 2005 Albin last year end of season so I ended up not using it. Had the yard take it out, winterize it and change the oil. The guy that did the survey was completely the wrong guy as I am finding out now. I spent a lot of money on him and he really did nothing. Anyway the boat is mine and I have a lot to learn on it.
I found a battery box under the deck on the starboard side. Unfortunately I was not able to get to the box and open it until later this week. So I was wondering would anyone know why there is a battery box here? I have 4 deep cell batteries 2 in the bilge behind the shaft and 2 on the port side right above the shaft.

So does anyone know why a battery would be up there?
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Re: 28 TE Flush deck

Post by rcwhite »

This location is where the starting battery (bat 1) usually is. The house would be above the shaft. It sounds like the house battery’s have been expanded but following the wiring is the only way to be certain of the current layout.

Unfortunately surveys are often poor but they are required for insurance. I think buyers would be better served to start with someone who actually knows about boats and hire the survey once it checks out.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Pictures of all batteries and battery boxes would be great..
In the meantime, how many batteries do you have? Total and house/start?
The bow thruster may have a separate battery, perhaps the windlass does too?
Got an inverter? Maybe previous owner loved to run his microwave and hair dryer, then added House batteries here and there?
(I am thinking of doing the same so I can sit for anchor and run the fridge and lights for 4 days instead of 2 days before I go below 50% on the House Bank, solar panels next)

Older boats tend to be modified to suit previous owner, heck I bought a brand new boat (GB 2770) 39 months ago and the first thing I had the dealer do was to add a house battery, would have put in more batteries, or a solar panel, if I kept the boat, but sold it 18 months later, the present owner is probably scratching his head about the extra deep cycle battery that is not part of factory specs.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

The single battery is under the deck behind the captains seat. In the 2nd photo the batteries are on the port side and behind the shaft. The single battery appears to be tied into the batteries behind the shaft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Those Interstates banks are 6V golf car batteries in series. Spend some time taking apart the connections and clean/lube and check/add water (distilled) to them if needed.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

RobS wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 am Those Interstates banks are 6V golf car batteries in series. Spend some time taking apart the connections and clean/lube and check/add water (distilled) to them if needed.
Rob
Spent 2 days cleaning the bilge and took off every cable wire brushed them clean and put some Dielectric Grease on each of them. The last thing I want is an electrical problem.
Thanks
Don
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Sounds good, don't forget the water level.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

My 28 has a starting battery of proper size for the engine and the house is a 8D. I will change all that around after they get old as they are 4 years old now. So I'm starting to plan.
Albin 28 battery layout.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

So I spoke with the old owner he said the battery was new 2018 and is for the bow thruster. He told me he had a marine electrician check the system and he made it 2 batteries in one series for the house 2 batteries in series for the engine. The 5th battery is for the bow thruster. which is connected to the batteries for the engine. I questioned it but he said that is the way they had it. I figure I'll talk with other that know more than I do about it. I would like to change the batteries out before I go in. So I will have to see.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

So 2 of the Deep cycle golf car batteries are for engine starting. those are all about reserve, not CCA, so not ideal. Maybe consider changing out the start bank to starting batteries and then you'll have two spare house batts as long as they check out okay.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

Don - I don’t see how anyone can hoss an 8D battery in & out of a 28 TE. 6V golf cart batteries wired in series (like you have) are a much more manageable option. Although, they are optimized for deep cycle applications, they are more than capable of starting a big diesel engine. For house bank applications two 6V golf cart batteries in series have as much capacity as an 8D and weigh just over 60lbs each.

I replaced the two Group 31 batteries supplied by the factory that failed after one season with two Trojan T-105 golf cart banks (one for starting; one for house). I think these lasted 8 or 9 years. Maybe 10. Recently I switched to a single Group 31 for engine starting and a single golf cart bank for house - all AGM.

Unless you’ve serviced them recently I guarantee your batteries need water. When running the flooded T-105s I used to keep a gallon jug of distilled water onboard and used probably half of it to replenish four 6V batteries, with very poor access (motor box model). Access to your flush deck configuration looks much better but the AGMs were well worth the investment for me.
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

MerryKate wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:37 pm Don - I don’t see how anyone can hoss an 8D battery in & out of a 28 TE. 6V golf cart batteries wired in series (like you have) are a much more manageable option. Although, they are optimized for deep cycle applications, they are more than capable of starting a big diesel engine. For house bank applications two 6V golf cart batteries in series have as much capacity as an 8D and weigh just over 60lbs each.

I replaced the two Group 31 batteries supplied by the factory that failed after one season with two Trojan T-105 golf cart banks (one for starting; one for house). I think these lasted 8 or 9 years. Maybe 10. Recently I switched to a single Group 31 for engine starting and a single golf cart bank for house - all AGM.

Unless you’ve serviced them recently I guarantee your batteries need water. When running the flooded T-105s I used to keep a gallon jug of distilled water onboard and used probably half of it to replenish four 6V batteries, with very poor access (motor box model). Access to your flush deck configuration looks much better but the AGMs were well worth the investment for me.
You seem to know a lot about the way my batteries are set up. Besides the 2 sets of batteries wired in series which are on a battery switch 1 & 2 a 5th battery is connected to one set of the batteries. This battery is for the bow thruster. I was told by the previous owner he had a marine electrician check out the batteries and it was good. I don't understand it at all.
Anyway any suggestions for replacing the batteries. They are old and I am a new owner so why take the chance. Figured I would replace 2 this year and 2 next year. Any suggestions on the batteries to get?
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Sounds like you have an interesting battery arrangement. On my sailboat I changed out the house bank, a pair of 8D wet cell batteries for 6v AGM golf cart batteries. Swapped the Grp 31 wet cell starting battery for AGM. This arrangement worked well for us.

I would change all the batteries at once instead of two at a time. Mixing old and new batteries will reduce the performance/lifespan of the new ones.
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

Hey Don - if you feel you need to replace them I’d recommend staying with the series 6V golf cart setup, at least for your house bank for the reasons I said, plus your already set up for it.

I always used Trojan T-105 6V deep cycles as they are sort of the standard for the application and affordable. But... they are old-school flooded lead acid and require regular checks and watering. Access with your flush deck installation looks so easy!

When I replaced my T-105s I used the Trojan T-105 AGM because service access is so atrocious in my motor box installation ( under the helm seat). More expensive but if you get in the habit of checking them every few weeks the flooded batteries are a great value.

I’d service yours and see how they do. Interstates are good quality and if they haven’t been run dry there’s a good chance they have some life left in them.
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

MerryKate wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:29 pm Hey Don - if you feel you need to replace them I’d recommend staying with the series 6V golf cart setup, at least for your house bank for the reasons I said, plus your already set up for it.

I always used Trojan T-105 6V deep cycles as they are sort of the standard for the application and affordable. But... they are old-school flooded lead acid and require regular checks and watering. Access with your flush deck installation looks so easy!

When I replaced my T-105s I used the Trojan T-105 AGM because service access is so atrocious in my motor box installation ( under the helm seat). More expensive but if you get in the habit of checking them every few weeks the flooded batteries are a great value.

I’d service yours and see how they do. Interstates are good quality and if they haven’t been run dry there’s a good chance they have some life left in them.

Yeah I ended up picking up 2 new interstate batteries and going to see if the other 2 are good. When I spoke to the people at interstate he explained the benefit s of having them for the house batteries. Thanks for the information I appreciate it.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”