• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Outboard conversion.

johngus
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: amity harbor NY

Re: 28TE Outboard conversion.

Post by johngus »

just saw in the pics the platform cut.looks like a very interesting project.
i hope by removing the keel it does not hurt the handling of the boat.can't wait to see the performance numbers.
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Naples FL

Post by WD2E1 »

Thanks for the interest. Well I don't know exactly how it will do. I know that I was very tired of dealing with the Peninsular.
The motor and transmission were burried in the bottom
As far as a keel goes I now will have two of em. On the outboards. I am also installing a Mercry Smart Craft system. This will be a major upgrade to the electrical system. I still need to fabricate two steel gussets for more bracket support. (Insurance). The oil resivours will fit under the rear center hatch between the gussets.
More pics to come.
adbmgb
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Panama City Fl

Post by adbmgb »

I am very interested in your outboard conversion project as I am considering the same for the 28te I am purchasing. I can sympathize with you on the Peninsular. I had one in an I/O setup and servicing it was a challenge as the stringers blocked the bottom and the transom blocked the back of the engine and steering assembly. Of course there was a fuel tank and bulkhead to block the belts and raw water pump.
On your 28te is the transom cored and if so was it dry?
Thanks
Chipper
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

Yes it is cored with plywood. I is dry. I reinforced it with another piece of plywood. Making the thickness 2" where the bracket is mounted. I am installing two supports made of steel angle iron using the top outside motor bracket bolts down to the stringers. The biggest headache is the compartments on the transom. They are in the way. I didn't want to loose them so I worked around them.
Weather has been wet here in SW Florida so the work has stalle Thanks for the interest.
Bill
adbmgb
Mate
Mate

Post by adbmgb »

I hope mine is plywood and dry. Although I think I may have to try the yanmar for a while.
2 years ago I pulled the peninsular out, beefed up the transom, put a bracket on and mounted a 350 hp Suzuki. Gained 10 mph top, 5 on cruise, lost 1/4 mpg and was much much quieter.
Anxious to see what yours does.
Chipper
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

What boat did you put the 350 on?
I'm going with twins for safety and to reduce the draft. Real skinny water here.
adbmgb
Mate
Mate

Post by adbmgb »

It was a 1976 26’ Bertram, 28 degrees at transom. The motor was hidden in the deep v between the stringers. It was a solid fiberglass hull and rather heavy.
If I get a chance to change this one I will be looking for a pair of 250 to 300’s. I wonder what the maximum efficient speed this hull is designed for?
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

I can't tell you about that. I was just totally disgusted with the Peninsular. Plus the location was unbearable. I do all my own maintenance so it was a real pain. My last boat was a Hatteras 42 convertible I thought that was tight but i actually could go around the engines (6v92) 2 stroke diesels. 550 hp each. They were 9 litres each
Downgraded to the Albin because it was getting hard to keep up with the maintenance.
The motor bracket is layed out for 4 strokes 28" spread. I am going with 2 strokers so I don't even have to change the oil.
Maintenance will be a breeze because I can trailer it to my yard.
We'll see how it goes.
adbmgb
Mate
Mate

Post by adbmgb »

Wow, you did go down. The Peninsular I had was the p 400, made by AM General-never missed a beat - just couldn’t get to it to service it. The top end went from 37 mph to 47 mph with the 350 Suzuki.
Chipper
BayBeeII
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Chesapeake, VA

Post by BayBeeII »

Following
Looking to do same on my Albin 28 TE.
I have the Volvo diesel and DuoProp.
adbmgb
Mate
Mate

Post by adbmgb »

Any updates?
JMBoone
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: RI

Post by JMBoone »

Very interested in this also, please keep updates coming!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

What are you going to do with your deck re: engine box area
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

Sorry I haven't been working on the boat. I had other commitments. The engine box is going to be inverted and dropped in the hole making a nice storage compartment. It is tapered so it should lodge in nicley. It will be supported by using the old engine mounts I will fabricate a deck cover from laminated plywood.
I will probably ge used to the trip hazzard.
Thanks
Bill
WD2E1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by WD2E1 »

Motors installed
225 Mercury optimax.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”