• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flush Deck vs. Engine Box

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Flush Deck vs. Engine Box

Post by RicM »

Like any boat, it comes down to what you use it for. I have an engine box, and we fish our boat probably 70% of the time. I would hate giving up the deeper cockpit and the bow up attitude when in sloppy conditions 12 miles off shore. I have been in what I estimated was 7-8 ft seas after a hurricane and was confident in my boat if I was a bit nervous about my abilities. Do not try this at home, your results may vary.
If you use your Albin as a picnic boat on a river or in a bay like the Chesapeake or Narragansett Bay, and only fish occaisionally then I would probably prefer the flush deck, with more room for seating and not worry about the lower gunnel height. For our use the engine box is equipped with 6 rod holders screwed to the sides that makes for inboard, secure rod storage. I throw a towel or some rubber shelf cover on the box and lay out the tackle boxes, lures, rigs and weights I'm going to use. We have some of those West Marine seat backs that make the box into a great lounge on the way back from the fishing grounds. All depends on your interests, there is no wrong answer.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Widowmaker
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Yarmouth, Maine

Post by Widowmaker »

I have a 28 TE Flush Deck. 2006. 162 gal tank. She has no list. I have been on engine box 28s and know their ride. I think my boat reacts a little slower in turns and smooth ocean (could be psychological) but my flush deck is considerably more stable in rougher water. Perhaps the center of gravity is lower and gives the boat more weight down below the water ? There is a significant difference, and I like the stability offshore in Maine.

We fish a ton. We use stand-up gear for tuna and shark, and being able to move across an unobstructed deck helps when 3-4 folks are fishing. Also has a fold-down stern seat, and by adding several cushioned deck chairs, we can entertain easily for crusin' and dining.

Flush deck not for everyone, but is best for some. My cockpit is as big as a dancefloor !
Most importantly, "her majesty the queen" likes the flush deck.
Jim
Master Maine Guide
"Lillian" .... 2006 28TE Flush Deck
Yarmouth Maine
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Love my Engine Box boat.
Need all the access I can get to service the engine.
Also need the slightly bigger Quarter Berth because I end up sleeping there myself. (If I have 2 or 3 male crew members they can share the big bed, I want no part of drunk Norwegians being liberal and sleeping in the nude. :shock: )

Also need the bigger rudder for close quarters maneuvering.
Don’t fish, no need for whatever advantage the Flush Deck has for fishing guys. :shock:

Love my 28TE, great boat.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Post by BRISWISH »

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either model. The pros and cons to each are minimal in my opinion. When I was looking, I didn't care if I bought an engine box or flush deck. I wanted an Albin 28 and the most important thing (to me) was that the boat was properly maintained, clean, and turnkey. I was under contract on an engine box and that fell through due to a shady seller. Ended up with my flush deck.

I love my flush deck. Being a fisherman and having two dogs, I enjoy the extra deck space. One of my dogs and I sleep in the quarter berth (still plenty of room), while another dog and human sleeps in the queen berth. That said, if I got the engine box I am sure I would say I love having an additional place to sit or treat as a table for food.

People say the engine is difficult to access on the flush decks. There is a hydraulic door that lifts and provides plenty of access. I can also access the back end of the engine and batteries through another hydraulic door and the front end of the engine through an access door in the cabin. That said, I know nothing about diesels and am outsourcing the service/maintenance and winterizing to professionals. So I can’t really speak in detail about access. I could access and change a belt or filter very easily though.
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I am partial to the flush deck because of the way we use our boat (spending a few days aboard each month, entertaining friends, plus a little fishing). I like that we can arrange the deck chairs in the cockpit any way we want depending on who and how we're entertaining. We seldom have guests spend the night aboard so the size of the Q-berth isn't important. Engine access is tight, especially when changing anodes, but no worse than other 28 footers that I've seen. What's most impressive to me is how the boat handles in a seaway and its rock-solid construction. We've had many people ask when we're planning to sell. My answer is always "not anytime soon."

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”