• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flush Deck vs. Engine Box

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Flush Deck vs. Engine Box

Post by jcollins »

Engine Box -

Pros -
* Engine box can provide a nice seat or lounging pad
* Easier access to the engine for service
* Larger quarter berth

Cons -
* V-drive
* Less room for people in the cockpit
* A little tighter for maneuvering between the helm and cockpit

Flush Deck -

Pros-
* Huge cockpit space for coolers, chairs, etc.
* Easy access to the helm from cockpit
* Straight drive
* Center fish box provides quite a bit of extra storage

Cons-
* Smaller quarter-berth
* Engine is difficult to service (unless you are 3'8")

The fuel economy and ease of handling make the 28TE a really nice boat regardless of model. Good luck with your search.

Jack
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Except -

It's not a "V-Drive", it's a reversing transmission. Albin used V-Drives on their early 32s. A jack shaft a couple of feet long came out of the transmission to the V-Drive. The propeller shaft came out of the bottom of the V-Drive. These were subject to alignment problems, and the V-Drive robbed power. All in all, not a good arrangement.

On the other hand, a reversing transmission has the same number of parts as a regular transmission, it just has one of the gears turned around. It uses no more power than a regular transmission and is just as reliable as a regular transmission.

Sorry for the dissertation, but this was a common misconception when I was selling Albins, and a bit of a sore subject with me.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Tom and Jack,
Thanks for this information. It's very clear and helpful to prospective owners.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Been on both, love the engine box, great bait work station, best fishing seat in the house, does limit "floor" space. One of the biggest issues I've seen with the flush deck is the helm seat stand seems to be a bit rickety....big guys like me just eat them up....but without a engine box, you can literally dance on the flush deck.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Whenever possible fishing is the name of my game, but I find plenty of time to cruise and just relax. Being an engine box guy I agree it makes a great tackle station. Tackle Boxes at the ready, a place to air dry the spreader bars or just a place to sit waiting for the rigs to go off while on the troll.
As stated earlier it also makes a great cocktail hour table for pitchers of whatever, shrimp plates, etc. or a place to lay out the buffet. When the sun is out the ladies love the cushion.
Are there times I wish I had the big dance floor? Absolutely, but it's hard to have it all on a 28.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Dave39
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pilots Point North Yard Westbrook, CT

Flush deck vs. engine box

Post by Dave39 »

We went to the Providence Boat Show a couple years ago where I met a guy that works for Standish Boat Yard (a major Albin dealer). He had worked at the Albin plant for years, and told me they (Albin) felt the engine box model handled better than the flush deck due to engine placement.
Dave Sieben (Dave39)
Hideaweigh
1998 31TE Cummins 450
203-640-6127
203-843-2578
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Boat differences

Post by Albinflorida »

A couple of other points;

Flush Deck;
has 30 gallons more fuel 162 vs 132
much larger helm console
engine access is a pain
8" less width in 1/4 berth

Engine Box
4" higher gunnels
slightly better ride
quieter. engine outside PH
much better engine access

Both are great boats, it just comes down to preferences.
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

flush deck fuel capacity

Post by fairtide »

Albinflorida wrote that the flush deck has a greater fuel capacity than the engine box model. My 2006 flush deck has the 132 gallon tank.

After checking the manufacturers' plate on the tank, I found that it is the 162 gallon size. Sorry for the incorrect info above.
Last edited by fairtide on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flush Deck

Post by RicM »

There is another thread about problems with a slight list on some 28's. They all seem to be flush decks, due to battery placement. Another factor to consider.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Fuel Tanks

Post by Albinflorida »

Fairtide,
If your 2006 28 boat has a 132 tank, it is because Albin had one laying around. They upgraded the tank to 162 in 2004 / 2005, the second year the flush deck was in production, primarily to counter the weight distribution forward that was caused when they turned the engine around and moved it forward. There were some problems with bow steer. They also had to cut down the rudder as the boat would not turn to port at cruise.
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
dougstinchcum

Post by dougstinchcum »

I don't have any statistical data on this, but it seems my '04 flush deck rides better with a full load of fuel, i.e., stern heavy. Also, I employ minimal, if any, trim.
billy the kid
Swabby
Swabby

Re:

Post by billy the kid »

Tuxedo wrote: On the other hand, a reversing transmission has the same number of parts as a regular transmission, it just has one of the gears turned around. It uses no more power than a regular transmission and is just as reliable as a regular transmission.
Where can I find more info on reversing transmissions? Does this mean that the transmission is switched from a regular rotation to an opposite rotation? As you can probably tell I am confused. :mrgreen:

-Brad
1990 26' Shamrock Cuddy
351 Indmar
Washington, NC
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Re:

Post by DougSea »

billy the kid wrote:
Tuxedo wrote: On the other hand, a reversing transmission has the same number of parts as a regular transmission, it just has one of the gears turned around. It uses no more power than a regular transmission and is just as reliable as a regular transmission.
Where can I find more info on reversing transmissions? Does this mean that the transmission is switched from a regular rotation to an opposite rotation? As you can probably tell I am confused. :mrgreen:

-Brad
A "reversing transmission" in this case refers to the direction the power output shaft leaves the trans. In an engine box 28TE the engine is mounted facing aft and the transmission is mounted to the rear of the engine and the front of the boat. The front face of the transmission is mounted to the engine and the propeller shaft also mounts to the front of the transmission (on an angle) and runs back under the engine. See the technical drawings of the 28TE in the documentation section of the forum. You can see an example of the transmission here:

http://www.simplicity-marine.com/ZF/ZF6 ... iption.htm

It does NOT refer to opposite rotation, in fact, if you had twin engines in this configuration you'd have TWO reversing transmissions, ONE of which would be used in Opposite rotation.

Hope that helps!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Re: Flush Deck vs. Engine Box

Post by robonurse »

Biggest difference is in the rudder. The flush deck has a MUCH smaller rudder which results in less close quarters maneuverability. I opted for the engine box model. Great boat!
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Flush Deck vs. Engine Box

Post by Saltdog »

I love my box for all the reasons mentioned, but the real reason I love it is that with the exception of a few early flush decks (where they put in a 4" step) they raised the cockpit sole 4".

Where as the top of the deck on a box model hits me just above the knee (4-5") allowing for serious standing stability, the flush deck hits right at the knee, and in my opinion does away with that standing stability and makes it no longer a "sea boat"

Ts
><{{{*>

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”