• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Strange whistling noise from the aft end of the boat...

Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: Strange whistling noise from the aft end of the boat...

Post by Sisu22 »

Norseman, I think I have the same issue. By chance I was out yesterday for a short spin and noticed the noise at 1200 RPM 6-7 knots. Kind of a whirling noise. I would think it has to be something related to the running gear, prop, zincs, etc. I have a Lasdrop seal that is about 2 years old.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

I had the same issue and it was prop sing. I know bc when prop was reconditioned the shop put on an anti-singing edge on the blades. Problem solved.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Sisu22 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:03 pm Norseman, I think I have the same issue. By chance I was out yesterday for a short spin and noticed the noise at 1200 RPM 6-7 knots. Kind of a whirling noise. I would think it has to be something related to the running gear, prop, zincs, etc. I have a Lasdrop seal that is about 2 years old.

Probably not my seal or cutless bearing, possibly the new prop.
I had the same issue and it was prop sing. I know bc when prop was reconditioned the shop put on an anti-singing edge on the blades. Problem solved.
Will have to ask my prop shop about that. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Reminds me of when I first purchased Afterglow. It was the turbo.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Diggie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fernandina

Post by Diggie »

Our 32 2 was doing that same thing. Sometimes at the dock just above idle and sometimes while underway. I was running through all the switches trying to recreate the noise and finally found the main bilge pump under the engine made the high whistle. May not be your problem but we were so happy that's all it was. Diggie
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Diggie wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:39 am Our 32 2 was doing that same thing. Sometimes at the dock just above idle and sometimes while underway. I was running through all the switches trying to recreate the noise and finally found the main bilge pump under the engine made the high whistle. May not be your problem but we were so happy that's all it was. Diggie
Nah, not a bilge pump in my case.
Only when I select forward gear and at idle speed or slightly above.
Will ask the prop shop, but they will probably say: Sure, bring it in, we will look at it. :shock:
A diver will charge $150 to remove the prop and the same for install, or a yard will charge more for hauling the boat, blocking it and removing the prop as well as a daily rate while prop shop puts the wheel in a machine just to tell me there is nothing wrong with it.. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Only when I select forward gear and at idle speed or slightly above.
I recall years ago one of our member talked about the same thing. It was his transmission. Search for Doug.

EDIT: Not Doug. His name was Doug. VeeByes2.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
pedrosham
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: San Francisco

Post by pedrosham »

My 2002 28TE, Yanmar 6LPA-STP, makes a high pitched whistling/whine sound between 900-1150 rpm. Loudest between 1000-1100. Intermittent at 1150 rpm, then goes away in higher rpm. Forward gear only, No sound in neutral or reverse. No play in Cutless, and good flow to Tidesmarine sureseal. Loudest below deck at transom, behind fuel tank. I suspect the 19x19 four blade prop is singing. Definitely NOT alternator or turbo. I have owned Seahorse for three years, and only noticed sound recently. I an not worried, but would like to identify for sure.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”