• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder Modifications on 28TE flush deck

gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Barbados

Rudder Modifications on 28TE flush deck

Post by gcmarshall »

Hi all,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted to go at it again. I have a 2005 flush deck with the 6LPA engine. I constantly get asked about the rudder size being so tiny, and why I don't put on a bigger rudder. The boat is also ridiculously difficult to turn easily, and requires a fair bit of engine maneuvering. The leg in the vetus bow thruster has some sort of issue, as it is "binding" - and I haven't used that in a couple of years. The boat is in commercial use, so it is not out of the water long enough to really tackle the bow thruster - it is on a "future project list".

But, what really was the issue with the rudder size that caused Albin to reduce it? 95% of the time, my Albin is travelling at 7 knots or less, and I really wanted the increased steering for help docking the boat. It is hard to imagine a larger rudder making it more difficult to steer, unless perhaps you were going at WOT?

Any thoughts on this? Anyone added a couple inches to their rudder?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Rudder Modifications on 28TE flush deck

Post by Pitou »

Here's a link to previous thread .. http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 4517#p4517
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

thanks. reading that old link is enough to take this back off my to do list, and maybe just try to get the bow thruster sorted.

G.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Although, now I am thinking back on this....95% of the time I am at 1600 to 1800 rpms. Occasionally I might do a 2 minute at 3000 rpms in a straight line heading back home late...

I am wondering if it is worth trying out bolting on an extension out of alum or stainless steel on my next haul up.... that way, if it performs that poorly when the boat is back in the water, I can easily remove it in the water.....and if it performs good, I could weld it on properly on the next annual haul up. What material are the rudders made out of anyway? Anyone ever try any kind of "rudder extensions"?

G.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

I actually now came across this post http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 0&start=15
re: drilling a hole in the tiller about 1" in front of the existing hole and using that one to increase the rudder angle....this seems pretty intriguing.

While on one hand I am sure the Albin engineers knew a lot more about boat design than me... they are also designing a boat to meet the needs of the majority of their users - for many which is 'cruising"...not necessarily for a person who is going at 7 knots or less, 10 hours a day...:-P
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

GC, go ahead and try drilling the new hole. You have nothing to lose - you can always go back to the original hole. We still love this simple change - one of the best and easiest improvements we've made to the boat.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Wfmdfm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wareham ma

Post by Wfmdfm »

You should contact Ken Hilton at Standish Baot Yard in Tiverton Ri. He worked with Albin to convince them to make a change to the size. It’s worth the call. He is good about sharing info and had direct connections with Albin
2000 28 TE Yanmar 300 6LP-STE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”