• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31 Albin TE

irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

31 Albin TE

Post by irishwake »

Does anyone have any knowledge on the running of the water lines to the stern shower on the 31?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: 31 Albin TE

Post by Pitou »

From my crawling around different 31TE boats and what I saw:

Earlier boats (up to what I believe were 2002's) carried the cold water from the pump to the hot water tank (under the dinette) and branched both hot and cold pex lines down the starboard side through the head to the salon wetbar to the cockpit freahwater wash on the starboard cockpit step and then back and across the transom over to the port side handheld transom shower. Only the galley water lines branched to the port side / outboard of the portside forward stringer.

On my 2006 the stern shower pex lines are both a continuation of the branch offs to the galley sink continuing past the water pump, through the bulkhead into the engine compartment and then turning outboard to port and down the port side to the port side transom shower.
20200104_155229.jpg
20200104_155327.jpg

Hopefully this is helpful and gets you started.
What's going on that you are needing to chase down the water lines?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by irishwake »

Thank you that helps a lot. My fresh water system stays completely pressured yet the pump continues to run. I checked the pressure switch on the pump and that appeared fine. Purchased a new pump and the same thing happened. Then checked the accumulator tank for pressure, it was 0 so pumped it up to 15 pounds and still had the same problem. All my other water outlets are fully pressurized yet the stern shower just gets a trickle out of hot and cold. I am guessing it might have a kink in it at some point. The info you supplied gives me a good start.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Oh my gosh .. I went on a similar quest just this past late summer early fall to try and get better pressure to my failing transom shower.
Did you get a good hard look at the connections on your pressure switch and its rubber diaphragm?

The only way that I could fully check the switch was to remove and flip the entire Ulta-Max assembly, remove the pressure switch cover and have a good look. My switch had quite a bit of corrosion beyond any reasonable cleanup and the rubber diaphragm had lost most of its pliability compared to a new diaphragm.

I decided to order a new pressure switch kit and replace it / Jabsco 18916-0040. Like anything to do with wiring or o-rings on a boat, I lubed the wire connections with Super Lube synthetic grease / dielectric. This had obviously not been done during Jabsco factory assembly.

After reassembly two things happened:
1). I now have greatly improved pressure at the transom shower. The fixture now has utility!
2). My pump now cycles much less frequently and sometimes never for just short water uses and that has never happened.

Though I had significant corrosion I did have power to the pump and I'm thinking that ultimately the rubber diaphragm was the culprit to the lack of pressure.

If nothing comes to light when you chase your water lines for potential leaks, replacing te switch for roughly $25.00 might be worth a shot.

Here are some pictures:
20200104_155306.jpg
20200909_182253.jpg
20200909_182303.jpg
Jabsco Switch 18916-0040.jpg
20201004_135020.jpg
20201001_185352.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by irishwake »

I replaced the whole pump with a new one. Still the same problem.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Just a thought .. Our aluminum water tanks are famous for producing aluminum oxide that slips through the system.

Have you taken the spray head aerator off to check for debris? Even with the filter between the tank and pump unit I've had to clear fines blockage from other fixture aerators on my 31TE.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by irishwake »

Took the spray head off completely so it was just the hose, no difference. I have been playing with this system for over 5 hours and getting nowhere. I guess I will go down and check the lines, then start all over again. Knowing how the lines are run saves me a lot of time. Will let you know how it works out. Thank you
Last edited by irishwake on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Had a similar problem last spring. Turns out that when service winterized the boat last winter they did not reconnect the water lines fully. They fixed it in two minutes (and apologized).
Don.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

By the way, the connection did not leak so it wasn’t obvious the joint was not seated properly; but it did suck in air!
Don.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”