• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar engine RPM

DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Yanmar engine RPM

Post by DownEast2 »

I will be sea trialing a 28TE with a Yanmar 6LP STE engine. The engine has about 760 hours on it, about 3/4 full of fuel and not much of anything else. Can anyone help me, I would like to know the the cruising RPM should be and approximate speed and what WOT should be.
I appreciate any help you can give me.
Denis
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: Yanmar engine RPM

Post by Jkraft »

The yanmar 6lp needs to reach 3800 minimum when loaded. It SHOULD reach somewhere over that, preferably around 3900.

Cruise RPM on them in our boats is 3200-3600. My boats happy spot is 3450 at 17-18 knots
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Jkraft wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:51 pm The yanmar 6lp needs to reach 3800 minimum when loaded. It SHOULD reach somewhere over that, preferably around 3900.

Cruise RPM on them in our boats is 3200-3600. My boats happy spot is 3450 at 17-18 knots
Sounds a bit low: My book says the WOT RPM in gear, underway should be 3950-4050 RPM.
The HP rating is 3800, max cruise (as in max Continuous RPM is 3600.)

I see 17 knots at 3600 RPM with 1/2 load and 1/2 fuel.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Sorry I was 50 rpm low….
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate

Post by DownEast2 »

Wow, those RPM ranges are far higher than I would have expected.
We had to abort our sea trial yesterday before I could even get on plane, the engine had a major water leak that was dumping water all over the engine and into the intake. But I was under the impression from the man driving the boat that cruise RPM was about 2800.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

DownEast2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:03 pm Wow, those RPM ranges are far higher than I would have expected.
We had to abort our sea trial yesterday before I could even get on plane, the engine had a major water leak that was dumping water all over the engine and into the intake. But I was under the impression from the man driving the boat that cruise RPM was about 2800.
The major water leak could be the Raw water pump.
It is partly hidden under the engine and hard to see and to service, therefore
it can spray salt water around causing damage.

As for the wide RPM range: Yes, this is a high speed diesel, made by Toyota for the Land Cruiser SUV, then Yanmar got it and “Maranised” it.
It is a precision machine and needs TLC and it does not tolerate abuse like an old slow revving diesel such as a Perkins.

If your boat does not have the FloScan electronic tach, then RPM could be off a bit. Hopefully the surveyor will bring a stroboscope light to get the actual RPM. Anything less at full throttle than 3950 RPM the engine is Over Propped, or the prop is dirty with growth.
Long term over propping with these engines can cause damage as per the experts at Boatdieael.com. (Join that website, lots of info on the Yanmar 6LPs and every other marine diesel.)

Good luck.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate

Post by DownEast2 »

Thank you everyone, for the information on the RPM, the leak was a water hose going to the after cooler I think. Its been repaired and Ill be going down for another sea trial. My fingers are crossed that it runs perfectly, I can't wait to own another Albin.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”