• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

what are the weak points to look at an Albin 28 TE when buying

Davil11
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Morehead City NC

what are the weak points to look at an Albin 28 TE when buying

Post by Davil11 »

Apologize for posting this question, as I am sure the topic has been discussed before.
Perhaps you could refer me to the appropriate thread.
Looking at different 28 TE on the market and will like to have an idea what to look for.
One owner already described "soft spots" on the lockers lids.
thank you
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: what are the weak points to look at an Albin 28 TE when buying

Post by Sisu22 »

What year of boat? You will want to get a surveyor to check all cores and stringers.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Davil11
Mate
Mate

Post by Davil11 »

is a 1994
seller acknowledges those lids that need redo, mostly remove and reglass, am fine with that.
Normally like to do a visual for known issues before moving forward with surveyor expenses.
I am familiar with boats just moving from sailing to power.
I can do a preliminary structural on deck, ports looking for water damage, engine visual and run it, years ago passed a boat with oil in the pan that could not be accounted for.
Some boats do have peculiar and very specific issues that over the years are known, perhaps that is what I am interested, before paying for a surveyor.
This unit does not have a windlass, will need to install one, how is the chain locker? a deep V shape?,is accessible from the V Berth?
Do owners run a power cable from the batteries installed or install a dedicated battery forward?
Do the tanks have a history of leaks?
Noticed many come with an alcohol stove, have owners replaced it with propane/electric?
thank you very much for your patience
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, Davil. I can answer some of your questions.

Yes, hatch lids are easily re-cored by someone with fiberglass skills.

The hull is cored, so check carefully for wetness. We re-cored the transom of our '95.

I answered your anchor locker question on your other thread.

Many 28TE's shipped with a windlass wiring harness already in place from the helm area center hatch to the bow. The wires run through a chase on the starboard side. It's covered by long, vinyl-covered access panels in the head and forward through the hanging locker, storage cabinet (if boat is so equipped), and along dinette shelving. It's not much fun to access. If the harness is in place, you should be able to see it by sticking your head in the starboard anchor hatch and looking slightly aft and upward. However, depending on what windlass you choose, the existing wiring (if it exists) might not be heavy enough.

Reading this forum over the years, tanks leaks don't seem to be a big problem. Tank is accessible by removing the cockpit sole aft of the engine hatch after first removing any seam sealant. Not a big deal.

Most boats came with butane stoves. I really like the simplicity. Propane would require a proper locker, and I have no interest in an electric stove as it's useless away from the dock. Most of these boats don't have generators.

Hope that helps.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Noticed many come with an alcohol stove
Never seen any 28TEs with an alcohol stove. (Yet)
Small butane burners however seems to be the norm:
Got 2 of those: 1 in the galley, factory installed, and a similar portable burner we use in the back: SS from West Marine @ $50.
We also have a Force 10 Barbecue that mounts on a rod holder at the transom next to the swim platform gate.

All good, love my Albin 28TE.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Davil11
Mate
Mate

Post by Davil11 »

Thank you, Nancy and Norseman, for your helpful notes.

Did not know about deck been cored, extra attention will be needed.
Will take my rusted /rubber hammer!!
Been hesitant at the beginning of my search for a suitable vessel to provide me with the ability to continue cruising, my Cape Dory 30 MKII is fitted for solo sailing, excellent and safe for offshore but has not been fun to work on inner waterways as motoring is more the norm.
Age and weather patterns changing so dramatically indicates a need from my part to adapt if I want to continue cruising and there is so much to see from home going northeast, my friend has an Albin 32+2, and we agree is too much boat for me to handle and enjoy it.
The 28 TE should meet my needs.
Take care
PS
Will update if decide on this boat
thank you again.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Clarification: the hull is cored as well.
Your Cape Dory is a really nice boat!
The 28TE is very easy to single-hand.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Davil11
Mate
Mate

Post by Davil11 »

thank you, Nancy.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Yeah, what Nancy said. I would add two things, if I were re-doing an install I would put a nice big battery forward to power the windlass and the thruster. Maybe a 31.

My swim platform was rotted out as well. Had to remove it and re-core almost the whole thing. Not that bad a job as it just bolts right off. But could be expensive if you have someone do it for you.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”