• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Helm Console Redesign

whiteyvt
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Helm Console Redesign

Post by whiteyvt »

It's time to update the helm station on our 2001 TE and I'm looking for examples where someone has incorporated a MFD along with new gauges and LED switches. Would love to see some pictures of what members have done to help feed our re-design process. Thanks in advance!
David White
"WWHIM", Lake Champlain, Burlington VT
2001 Albin 28 (engine box model)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Helm Console Redesign

Post by catalina_mike »

I had the overhead enclosure that I did a Simrad MFD as the next project. Here is the dash I did.
Dash installed.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
whiteyvt
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Post by whiteyvt »

Thanks Mike!

I have a chartplotter and fishfinder mounted separately over-head and they really impact my visibility
David White
"WWHIM", Lake Champlain, Burlington VT
2001 Albin 28 (engine box model)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I had the fiberglass shell and it did not block mine. Oh well I put a 12" one in and the VHF radio up above. I'll see if I can find a picture. Got it!
Simrad.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Give me another month... project currently in process

I'm keeping the stock Yanmar panel, but have started to change out my switches to Blue Sea 8371 breaker/switch panels with Contoura III switch covers from New Wire Marine. I will be removing the stock switch/fuse panels.

Finished product will have one Garmin 943xsv MFD top left, autopilot and fuel gauge top middle, and a second Garmin 943xsv top right. On the bottom will be the stock Yanmar panel on the left, and two blue sea 8371 panels to the right. I have also moved all my electronics from the Albin fuse/switch panel to a Blue Sea 5054 circuit breaker bus mounted in the head cabinet behind the dash, to free up switch space on the dash

Layout when I purchased:
old dash.jpg

One of the new Blue Sea panel installed
new switch.jpg
new switch detail.jpg

Wiring / switch layout
Circuits 1.PNG
Circuits 2.PNG

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8371/W ... tion-Black
https://www.bluesea.com/products/5054/S ... gative_Bus
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Check out New Wire Marine. We are in the process of re-making all of my panels now with push button LED and its going to be NICE. They will make anything you want if you give them your chart plotter info and dimensions etc.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

Not the best picture, but I've kept the electronics in the factory overhead box for a cleaner helm and companion station. I went with a 9" Axiom when I replaced the original Interphase sounder because I decided to stay with the radar I installed circa 2000. With a bigger budget I would have gone with a single Axiom 12" in the overhead. I've also always had the VHF in the overhead. I installed the autopilot control just over the factory-installed bow thruster switch, where it's handy as a safety-factor.
I really have liked the overhead box and don't find it impedes vision at all.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

MerryKate wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:11 am Not the best picture, but I've kept the electronics in the factory overhead box for a cleaner helm and companion station. I went with a 9" Axiom when I replaced the original Interphase sounder because I decided to stay with the radar I installed circa 2000. With a bigger budget I would have gone with a single Axiom 12" in the overhead. I've also always had the VHF in the overhead. I installed the autopilot control just over the factory-installed bow thruster switch, where it's handy as a safety-factor.
Looks great! Can you share details on your steering wheel? Was that an easy swap? Same size?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

David:
Interesting that you find the factory overhead box obstructs your view. I have the same arrangement on my 2001, 28 TE am 6’2” and, after only a brief adjustment period ( less than a season), found that the overhead arrangement was really convenient. Mine houses a 12” SIMRAD MFD, auto pilot control (although the new MFD does integrate the AP display and control so the separate panel is not necessary) and the remote spot light controller.
Like yours, I have the standard Yanmar factory panel- which I love- and the usual VHF, bow thruster, fuel gage and battery voltage meter. I also installed a two plug USB port near the cigarette lighter. The switches definitely need attention/ changeout.
Looking forward to your progress on your upgrade. Mike’s came out fabulously!
Surprised to see your home port is Burlington, Vt. We visit frequently and only noticed the 28TE flush deck that calls Burlington home.
Regards, Don
2001, 28TE, Safe Harbor Marina, Willsboro, NY.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

PS.
You didn’t by chance buy the Albin 28TE that was at Thompson’s Point for many years????
Don 😊.
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

Jkraft wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:00 pm
MerryKate wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:11 am Not the best picture, but I've kept the electronics in the factory overhead box for a cleaner helm and companion station. I went with a 9" Axiom when I replaced the original Interphase sounder because I decided to stay with the radar I installed circa 2000. With a bigger budget I would have gone with a single Axiom 12" in the overhead. I've also always had the VHF in the overhead. I installed the autopilot control just over the factory-installed bow thruster switch, where it's handy as a safety-factor.
Looks great! Can you share details on your steering wheel? Was that an easy swap? Same size?

Lewmar 13.5" power grip wheel that fits the standard 5/8" taper teleflex helm pump. got it off ebay, but I think I paid close to $100 less than this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192892956395?e ... SwsWVcuJng
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

MerryKate wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:16 am
Jkraft wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:00 pm

Lewmar 13.5" power grip wheel that fits the standard 5/8" taper teleflex helm pump. got it off ebay, but I think I paid close to $100 less than this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192892956395?e ... SwsWVcuJng
Thanks!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GSSeattle »

Helm redesign project is progressing well. All that is left to do is add the 2nd Garmin 943xsv display, and mount the fuel gauge, volt meter, and 12v USB outlet. It is a tight fit, but managed to squeeze two 9" displays in and increase the number of switches from the standard 14 to 16. Also this project gave me a chance to clean up all the wiring that previous owners added over 20 years :)
New Dash.jpg

New switch panel detail, circuit breakers = no more fuses!
Switch detail.jpg

Moved all electronics to a circuit breaker buss mounted in the head cabinet to free up dash space. Still need to tie up the wiring a bit
Electronics Buss.jpg
Greg

MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Greg - that looks great man.... can't wait to see the finished product!

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin Mad Money
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GSSeattle »

MadMoney wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:12 pm Greg - that looks great man.... can't wait to see the finished product!

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin Mad Money
Thanks Anthony! Maybe I'll even have the radar arch and radar installed by the time you are up for the summer. Just need a few weekends of not rain...
Greg

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”