• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Helm Console Redesign

whiteyvt
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Re: Helm Console Redesign

Post by whiteyvt »

carolmarie wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:49 pm PS.
You didn’t by chance buy the Albin 28TE that was at Thompson’s Point for many years????
Don 😊.
No Don (but I might know the boat you're referring to). We got our from down on the Cape (she was in Falmouth) about 6 years ago
David White
"WWHIM", Lake Champlain, Burlington VT
2001 Albin 28 (engine box model)
whiteyvt
Mate
Mate

Post by whiteyvt »

carolmarie wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:39 pm David:
Interesting that you find the factory overhead box obstructs your view. I have the same arrangement on my 2001, 28 TE am 6’2” and, after only a brief adjustment period ( less than a season), found that the overhead arrangement was really convenient. Mine houses a 12” SIMRAD MFD, auto pilot control (although the new MFD does integrate the AP display and control so the separate panel is not necessary) and the remote spot light controller.
Like yours, I have the standard Yanmar factory panel- which I love- and the usual VHF, bow thruster, fuel gage and battery voltage meter. I also installed a two plug USB port near the cigarette lighter. The switches definitely need attention/ changeout.
Looking forward to your progress on your upgrade. Mike’s came out fabulously!
Surprised to see your home port is Burlington, Vt. We visit frequently and only noticed the 28TE flush deck that calls Burlington home.
Regards, Don
2001, 28TE, Safe Harbor Marina, Willsboro, NY.
Hi again Don

I don't have the factory overhead box. Instead I have two versions of old Furnuo screens mounted overhead - one running a fishfinder/depth sounder and the other navigation and radar. I too am 6-2 and find myself constantly hunched-over trying to see underneath (I prefer to stand at the helm most of the time) the larger that hangs at least 12".

We use BTV as out homeport because the city been the center of my life for a long time (I worked for the City). We actually live in Jericho and keep her in Malletts Bay at Bay Harbor Marina. I know "Quarters" at the Community Boathouse, and my brother has a 28TE in Shelburne Bay so there are a few around.
David White
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Interesting. My son has a place in Falmouth and we take our 28TE there every few years via the Champlain canal, Hudson and The Sound. We stay at Falmouth’s inner harbor marina - a fabulous location. In fact we plan on a trip to the Cape - COVID permitting- this summer.
Small world.
Don.
Essex, NY
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Helm redesign project done!! Managed to squeeze in two 9" Garmin's, stock yanmar panel, autopilot, 16 switches with circuit breakers, Blue Sea Systems mini OLED volt meter and fuel gauge, 12v outlet, and dual USB outlet.
20220108_150352.jpg
20220108_153212.jpg
Electronics bus and N2K network in head cabinet. Wiring looks much better than it did before. Very tough to tidy up the yanmar harnesses though
20220108_160700.jpg
Old helm layout with 7" Garmin
20200125_122919.jpg
If anyone wants to buy a perfectly functional stock Albin switch/fuse panel and wiper panel let me know.

Next project: custom radar arch and radar, as soon as weather permits
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Nicely done! Those factory harnesses are quite the cluster. Some day I might try to clean ours up.
whiteyvt
Mate
Mate

Post by whiteyvt »

GSSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:36 pm Helm redesign project done!! Managed to squeeze in two 9" Garmin's, stock yanmar panel, autopilot, 16 switches with circuit breakers, Blue Sea Systems mini OLED volt meter and fuel gauge, 12v outlet, and dual USB outlet.

20220108_150352.jpg

20220108_153212.jpg

Electronics bus and N2K network in head cabinet. Wiring looks much better than it did before. Very tough to tidy up the yanmar harnesses though

20220108_160700.jpg

Old helm layout with 7" Garmin

20200125_122919.jpg

If anyone wants to buy a perfectly functional stock Albin switch/fuse panel and wiper panel let me know.

Next project: custom radar arch and radar, as soon as weather permits
VERY nice! Thanks for sharing
David White
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Interested in the old panels!! PM me?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Very cool setup by the way - are the new ones Blue Sea Systems custom or off-the-shelf?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Sisu22 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:31 pm Very cool setup by the way - are the new ones Blue Sea Systems custom or off-the-shelf?
Blue Sea panels are #8371 off the shelf. Just had to swap out a few of the on-off switches - DPDT for nav/anchor, On-Off-On for pumps, and momentary on for horn. Then ordered custom Contoura switch covers from New Wire Marine because why not? :D

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8371/W ... tion-Black

Will PM you on the stock panels.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”