• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A little guidance please?

Mrfusion
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Peace River Alberta

A little guidance please?

Post by Mrfusion »

Well new to the site and looking for a little help. After lots of of research I feel the Albin 28TE would be a perfect fit for my family's next boat. Coming off a 96 Bayliner 2665 and looking for a little more room, galley, better fuel economy etc. I have read and found some older ones with the Peninsula Diesel engine and newer ones with the Yanmar. I'm looking to sleep 4 comfortably as we sleep on the boat 3-4 nights a time. Mainly for fishing and recreating with the family. I love the diesel low fuel consumption due to the fact we go way out throughout he channels with limited fuel access.
Any models or certain features to be aware from? Best site or place to start looking for used models? Is anyone using kickers or outboards for trolling or using the diesel?
Any help is appreciated.
Shad
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: A little guidance please?

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, Shad --

The 28TE may not meet your requirement to sleep four comfortably. The quarter berth in the engine box model is only 46" wide. It's often described as accommodating two people who are very friendly. 8)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Mrfusion wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:11 pm Well new to the site and looking for a little help. After lots of of research I feel the Albin 28TE would be a perfect fit for my family's next boat. Coming off a 96 Bayliner 2665 and looking for a little more room, galley, better fuel economy etc. I have read and found some older ones with the Peninsula Diesel engine and newer ones with the Yanmar. I'm looking to sleep 4 comfortably as we sleep on the boat 3-4 nights a time. Mainly for fishing and recreating with the family. I love the diesel low fuel consumption due to the fact we go way out throughout he channels with limited fuel access.
Any models or certain features to be aware from? Best site or place to start looking for used models? Is anyone using kickers or outboards for trolling or using the diesel?
Any help is appreciated.
Shad
The 28TE will certainly give you more accommodation than the Bayliner and is the largest in its 28 ft. class.

As described by Nancy, the quarter berth is "friendly", but will work for extended stays by two younger kids up until about age 12 when they'll start to want/need more room. There have been a few members here that utilized their boats for extended overnights with two children.

As far as trolling .. if not already fitted, a trolling valve can be installed to replace the existing shifter on the transmission and used to slow the boat to 2 +/- knots for trolling. This is much cleaner and easier to manage than adding an outboard kicker. I fitted my 28TE and have also fitted my 31TE with trolling valves.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mrfusion
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Peace River Alberta

Post by Mrfusion »

Ok that makes sense why I’m not seeing any trolling motors rigged on these.I have a new Yamaha 9.9 high thrust with remote steering and throttle on my Bayliner and it’s awesome. Gives a back up engine for making it home too.
I do agree the sleeping might be a tad tight for 4 adults but the rest if the layout seems great for a 28ft boat. I will need to trailer this boat as needed so I can’t go massive. The galley is better set up /more roomy than my Bayliner for sure as my wife is looking for an upgrade.
I like the diesel as fuel is a concern where we go and looking for efficiency for sure.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

“A tad tight for four adults “ is a gross understatement. We have accommodated two extra adults using our camper canvas around the cockpit and modified cots on either side of the engine box. Naturally a flush deck would be somewhat better. We have made several “four person” trips in the last 18 years in our 2001 but never with two adults in the cabin with us. Simply not realistic- at least not more than once!
If a four person accommodation is a priority, suggest you consider another model.
Don.
kenyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Bristol, Maine

Post by kenyoung »

On sail boats we call the quarter berth advertised to fit two as a "honeymoon double".
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

the te28 is perfect size for a couple. quarter berth is used for rod storage on ours
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

For the 4th adult on our 2001 Albin 28TE we have a blow up mattress and a 12 volt air pump onboard.
It fits perfectly next to the engine box.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”