• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

97 Albin 28TE that needs a repower

florioflatulance
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Middle River MD

97 Albin 28TE that needs a repower

Post by florioflatulance »

I am looking at buying a 97 Albin 28TE that needs a repower. Old Peninsulars no longer run. I am assuming all new transmission, engine, running gear, etc. I love the looks and quality of an Albin. This would be a change from my outboard experience running a 23 mako and a GW Marlin 30. I am in Maryland so going to California to SEABoard Marine is a no go. lol

Thoughts? It is obviously easier to buy a repowered but I can get the hull at a great price.

Thanks
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: 97 Albin 28TE that needs a repower

Post by Pitou »

I'd be looking to swap it out with a Cummins 6BTA with a top mount turbo to increase spillover. There a re a cou[le of members here that changed their 6BTA's to top mount turbos.

Seaboard refit a 28TE this way and they have plenty of online documentation of the instal. You're right, you'll be looking at gear, shaft and engine mount adjustments. Buy it right and you'll be happy with this approach.

I had a 2002 Albin 28TE with a 6 BTA and really loved the combo. The shafting was Aquamet 1 1/2" and originally supplied to Albin by H&H Propellar out of Salem, MA.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I would second the Cummins recommendation. I don't remember exactly which transmissions they put on the front of those Penninsulars, but with some luck maybe you could keep the same trans and drive train geometry. Tony's team at Seaboard may be willing to consult, especially if you purchase the reman through his channels?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Diversified Marine out of Annapolis knows Albin’s and works with yanmar and Cummins. That may be your best local hookup
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Is the boat in question in really really nice shape otherwise?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
florioflatulance
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Middle River MD

Post by florioflatulance »

It needs updating with electronics (10k), a windlass installed, and auto pilot. It comes with a vetus bow thruster and AC, and water heater. The hull is solid and it can use the typical curtains, and a good clean up, etc.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”