• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transom handle

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Transom handle

Post by Jkraft »

I know this has been discussed before. Can anyone share where they purchased a transom handle and how they installed it? I’ve got to add one to my boat. Pic is an example.

Thanks Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Re: Transom handle

Post by carolmarie »

I simplified the installation and attached mine to the swim platform. Avoids drilling through the transom and adding backing plates/washers in the transom compartments. Not as ideal as a grab rail mounted higher up but still works. Don.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

carolmarie wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:19 pm I simplified the installation and attached mine to the swim platform. Avoids drilling through the transom and adding backing plates/washers in the transom compartments. Not as ideal as a grab rail mounted higher up but still works. Don.
Thanks Don! That works too
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Here's my post from way back: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7408&hilit=transom+handle
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

RobS wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:32 am Here's my post from way back: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7408&hilit=transom+handle
Thanks Rob!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I use this on my transom. It works great, comes off when not in use, no holes in transom and cost about 16 bucks.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I palced a 316SS 1"grab rail low on the transom to assist in getting up the ladder. Through bolted to a backing plate similar to Rob's, but low enough that I did not need to cut into the transome box. Hamilton Marine has them in their catalogue, but not online.

20151011_134945.jpg
316SS 1 inch grab rail.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Thanks Kevin! I like that setup.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Here are the pictures from my install. I didn't want external screws so I went this route. Pretty easy install.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Here’s mine. Probably overkill for what you are looking for but I needed mine to fit rod holders to as I found my neck aches after a days fishing using the standard ones.

I also fitted the handrails all round for extra peace of mind when my kids are on the boat with me. They double up nicely for some to hang fenders from. I made them as OEM as possible with same diameter flanges, same hole PCD and same screw head sizes as that of the bow rail.

Click to open the correct way up! It’s an apple thing!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:14 pm Here’s mine. Probably overkill for what you are looking for but I needed mine to fit rod holders to as I found my neck aches after a days fishing using the standard ones.

I also fitted the handrails all round for extra peace of mind when my kids are on the boat with me. They double up nicely for some to hang fenders from. I made them as OEM as possible with same diameter flanges, same hole PCD and same screw head sizes as that of the bow rail.

16 rod holders..?
:shock:

You do any fishing at all.? Lol.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Norseman wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:15 pm
Tree wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:14 pm Here’s mine. Probably overkill for what you are looking for but I needed mine to fit rod holders to as I found my neck aches after a days fishing using the standard ones.

16 rod holders..?
:shock:

You do any fishing at all.? Lol.
Just allows us to space the rods out if we are anchoring or drifting. If we are on the drift we could have six rods in the water on one side etc or six along the sides and stern for anchoring etc.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I thought about adding a transom handle but ended up with a different solution: I mounted a pad eye on the forward side of the transom, on the centerline. I use it to secure the dinghy when it's stowed on the swim step. When the dinghy is in the water, I tie a length of half-inch nylon 3-strand to it and let it hang over the transom. The end has a knot in it and hangs just above the swim step. It makes a great handhold when boarding from the dinghy. If we're swimming, I let out a bit more rope so the knot is just above the waterline. It works beautifully when climbing up the swim ladder.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”