• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Would like help/advice with a 28.

Jtborg
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Island Park, NY

Would like help/advice with a 28.

Post by Jtborg »

I have been in contract on a 2003 28 Tournament Express. I had the boat surveyed today for insurance purposes and it failed due to wet stringers. Is this a common problem? The moisture was only read at bottom of stringers. All of them, the deck hatch by helm chair, the engine compartment, the stern.

I am aware these boats stopped using balsa coring and this 2003 should be airex core. The stringers give a slightly sharper hard hit with a hammer at top but near the limber holes in the stringers, the foam is exposed and there is the dreaded dud sound mid way to bottom, even the “feel” of delam from the foam. The hull itself seemed ok via meter.

It’s tough because my surveyor advised me to walk and didn’t even complete the survey, and I called 3 others who all advised the same. I admit I’m emotionally attached to the boat, I’m a commercial fisherman by trade and this boat kind of fell in my lap and my wife and 2 daughters loved it. I have never had them like a boat so much, and I was excited to make some fun memories on it.

Having moisture in hull, and on top of that a lot of engine maintenance on a Yanmar 6LPA that was neglected is enough for me to be weary of trying to move forward. The boat is in excellent condition otherwise, and it’s a shame the bilge is in the condition it is. The boat clearly took on water for a while as there is a 4-5” waterline on stringers just above all of the limber holes on stringers, clearly indicating the foam soaked up whatever water was in there like a sponge.

I’m writing this post as one last Hail Mary to see if any of you have had experience with this and if I should just run or if you think it’s worth it to pay another surveyor to get a second opinion. I do not know albins at all, I’ve worked on H&H Osmond Beals, BHMs even sporties over the years and recently sold a Regulator CC to find a more family friendly boat. I thought I had it with this and it’s really disheartening getting that news today.

Any help or advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Would like help/advice with a 28.

Post by Norseman »

Too bad, but if the water got in the foam cored stringers, it may come out as well: Using fans and heat lamps one would think the water will eventually evaporate.
Also a few dehumidifiers in the bilge should also help the drying process.

That being said, I am not a surveyor.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

That's a darn shame, but wet stringers would have me spooked and wet stingers are not a common issue.

As you and your family found the 28TE layout encouraging, it sounds like you've been around boats enough to know the answer as far walking away from this particular hull. Unless the owner would let me or a professional drill a few exploratory holes, I'd be looking for another Albin. Be patient.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jtborg
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jtborg »

Pitou wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:50 am That's a darn shame, but wet stringers would have me spooked and wet stingers are not a common issue.

As you and your family found the 28TE layout encouraging, it sounds like you've been around boats enough to know the answer as far walking away from this particular hull. Unless the owner would let me or a professional drill a few exploratory holes, I'd be looking for another Albin. Be patient.
I appreciate the response and tough advice that I already know is true. Grasping at straws for a glimmer of hope. Tough to stay patient at the price I was getting the boat. It’s a real shame because the owner is an older veteran who took meticulous care for the boat and was completely unaware of this water damage, must have happened this winter.

The waterline is above the limber holes and they all read moisture. There is even a water line on the shaft from where the water sat. The foam is exposed on all of the limber holes so it’s indisputable they soaked up water like a sponge. A true shame for a beautiful boat that was taken care of.

Truly disappointed.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Jtborg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:01 am I appreciate the response and tough advice that I already know is true. Grasping at straws for a glimmer of hope. Tough to stay patient at the price I was getting the boat. It’s a real shame because the owner is an older veteran who took meticulous care for the boat and was completely unaware of this water damage, must have happened this winter.

The waterline is above the limber holes and they all read moisture. There is even a water line on the shaft from where the water sat. The foam is exposed on all of the limber holes so it’s indisputable they soaked up water like a sponge. A true shame for a beautiful boat that was taken care of.

Truly disappointed.
If the price were right, the hull is dry and the boat is in truly taken care of otherwise, I wouldn't be totally walking away and open to futher negostiation. This boat is not selling anytime fast. The owner will need to be addressing this on his own or any other potential buyer.

If still interested, I'd be looking into confirmation of what those stringers are truly made of beyond when Albin supposedly made their structural changes from advertising the move from wood of to foam/AirEx coring. Maybe get in the limber holes with a good hooked shaped pick. If AirEx, the advantage is a light weight material, structural stability and most importantly low water absorption properties. Again, if the price were right I'd be in touch with the AirEx manufacturer to see if and how the material could be dried out and if it can will the structural integrity remain. It's ashame that Albin didn't properly seal the limbers.

At worst the engine, gear and fuel tank all come out so that the stringers can be cut out and then tab in new stringers made with an appropriate composite. The thing with these projects is that they grow .. while the engine is out, we should do this and we should do that .. it's inevitable and why it would need to be bought at the right price. It wouldn't scare me, but I'd go in with my eyes super wide open.

If you're still in the marine trades and have access to a crane and yard space or even better yet, being able to bring it all home would be a great win. In the end you would have a great boat for your family, but most likely not until the end of this coming season or even next.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Jtborg
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jtborg »

Pitou wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:21 pm
Jtborg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:01 am I appreciate the response and tough advice that I already know is true. Grasping at straws for a glimmer of hope. Tough to stay patient at the price I was getting the boat. It’s a real shame because the owner is an older veteran who took meticulous care for the boat and was completely unaware of this water damage, must have happened this winter.

Truly disappointed.
If the price were right, the hull is dry and the boat is in truly taken care of otherwise, I wouldn't be totally walking away and open to futher negostiation. This boat is not selling anytime fast. The owner will need to be addressing this on his own or any other potential buyer.

If still interested, I'd be looking into confirmation of what those stringers are truly made of beyond when Albin supposedly made their structural changes from advertising the move from wood of to foam/AirEx coring. Maybe get in the limber holes with a good hooked shaped pick. If AirEx, the advantage is a light weight material, structural stability and most importantly low water absorption properties. Again, if the price were right I'd be in touch with the AirEx manufacturer to see if and how the material could be dried out and if it can will the structural integrity remain. It's ashame that Albin didn't properly seal the limbers.

At worst the engine, gear and fuel tank all come out so that the stringers can be cut out and then tab in new stringers made with an appropriate composite. The thing with these projects is that they grow .. while the engine is out, we should do this and we should do that .. it's inevitable and why it would need to be bought at the right price. It wouldn't scare me, but I'd go in with my eyes super wide open.

If you're still in the marine trades and have access to a crane and yard space or even better yet, being able to bring it all home would be a great win. In the end you would have a great boat for your family, but most likely not until the end of this coming season or even next.

I appreciate it man, I have my fiberglass guy looking at it with me and he is not scared either. Yes it got wet but it’s fixable and not as bad as it seems he says.

It is airex coring. You can feel it with your hands in the limber holes and it is bone dry at the limber holes. I’m going to try to negotiate a little with the seller and try my best to move forward. Of course being weary of everything and taking due caution.

I appreciate your advice, I’ll keep you posted as to what happens.

Thank you!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I'd still want the opportunity to pick some material from the limber holes. Just remember, if you go forward and don't at least get this dried out during your ownership be prepared to be in the same spot as this seller is with reluctant buyers and a devalued boat.

Good luck.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

It is foam in part of the stringers. Around the engine it changes to wood.
If the water migrated to the wood and soaked it, then it seems likely the
wood will start rotting and structural integrity will be a real problem.
Did the surveyor follow the stringers aft and get moisture readings under the engine?

If so, lift the engine, cut out old stringers and build up new stringers with virgin materials and since you are down there, pull the shaft, new shaft seal, new engine mounts, etc, etc.

My uneducated guess would be $5k to lift and re-instal the engine, then maybe $10k for new stringers.
Good luck.
:shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jtborg
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jtborg »

Unfortunately have to walk away from the boat. Stringers are delaminated too bad, soaking the coring where the engine mounts are. Heavy corrosion on underside of oil pan/motor/transmission/shaft due to stagnant water about 15-16” sitting there for a very long time.

Absolute shame. Absolute perfect boat up top. Owner took amazing care of the boat and unfortunately with his heath issues the boat suffered damage to no one’s attention.

Absolute shame, too much work for me to get involved with it and the owner is not negotiable on a price. My days of grinding fiberglass in bilges are over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”