• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Has anyone replaced their rudder recently on a 28TE?

MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Has anyone replaced their rudder recently on a 28TE?

Post by MadMoney »

Hey everyone -

I have some pits that are starting to crack from a very "hot" marina I was in years back so it's time to replace the rudder. My mechanic called Buck Algonquin who made the original rudder and they quoted us $3,800+ for a new one with a 10-12 week wait time. This seemed pretty excessive to me but maybe that's my ignorance.

Has anyone replaced their rudder recently? If so, where did you source it and how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance -

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin MadMoney
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Has anyone replaced their rudder recently on a 28TE?

Post by Norseman »

Look at eBay.
An Albin 28TE rudder for sale right now.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
vositis
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Emery Cove Yacht Harbor, CA

Post by vositis »

Would that rudder be replaceable without taking the boat our of the water? My rudder is damaged from reasons unknown, but definitely needs to be replaced.

It's a 2006 28' TE Flushdeck.

Dis you? https://www.ebay.com/itm/333597138653

-VO
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

vositis wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:02 pm Would that rudder be replaceable without taking the boat our of the water? My rudder is damaged from reasons unknown, but definitely needs to be replaced.

-VO
Not me, not my rudder, just did a quick internet search for you.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

vositis wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:02 pm Would that rudder be replaceable without taking the boat our of the water? My rudder is damaged from reasons unknown, but definitely needs to be replaced.

Rudder replacement is strictly an on the hard endeavour.

If you're looking for new, Buck Algonquin/Hydrasearch made the Albin bronze skeg rudders for the TE series. I'd contact them or your local prop shop who most likely represents them. Aniother option is H&H Propeller Shop in Salem, MA. They provided all of the running gear (shafts, struts, skeg bars, shoes and rudders) to Albin. They have a pretty extensive file. A buddy just sourced a new shoe for his 31TE from them.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
vositis
Mate
Mate

Post by vositis »

Pitou wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:40 am

Rudder replacement is strictly an on the hard endeavour.

If you're looking for new, Buck Algonquin/Hydrasearch made the Albin bronze skeg rudders for the TE series. I'd contact them or your local prop shop who most likely represents them. Aniother option is H&H Propeller Shop in Salem, MA. They provided all of the running gear (shafts, struts, skeg bars, shoes and rudders) to Albin. They have a pretty extensive file. A buddy just sourced a new shoe for his 31TE from them.
Why can’t we replace the rudder in the water with a diver? Would too much water come ip the shaft?

Seems like we could plug the shaft while installing it? 🤪. I’ll see why I can do to get it floated 🫤

I talked to hydrsearch a while ago. They just needed measurements from me and would sell me a new one for barely more than what that guy is asking for a used (and rather shitty lookin) one.

Thank you!!!
vositis
Mate
Mate

Post by vositis »

Norseman wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:05 am

-VO
Not me, not my rudder, just did a quick internet search for you.
Ohhhhhh. Thank you!!! Aside from that being overpriced, it did give me a much better perspective on what’s going on down there.

Thank you!!
Netbender
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ilwaco,WA

Post by Netbender »

We just had both the rudders replaced on our 31’ TE due to corrosion on the old shafts. A local prop shop in the Portland, OR area fabricated SS ones using the old props as templates for $1500 each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”