• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 35 TE power options

jrecker
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Long Beach, CA

Albin 35 TE power options

Post by jrecker »

Guys,

I'm in the market for a 35TE and looking for feedback on the ideal engine package for this boat. I'm wondering if the 300hp Yanmars are underpowered and less efficient than more current models with the larger engines. On the west coast it's often not comfortable to run boats this size much more than 20 knots, but I also wonder if an engine that is struggling to run 17 knots is less efficient than a boat with the larger engines at the same speed. Any thing else I should know? I assume the boat is pretty stable in short period swells while drifting? I have currently own a 29' Blackfin SF that rocks more than I like in steep swells so hoping these do better with the lower profile with less deadrise. It's all about compromises, so I'm hoping to learn more about the Albins.

Thanks,

Jeff
loganmj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Re: Albin 35 TE power options

Post by loganmj »

Jeff-
I have a 2000 35TE with twin Cummins 370's. In relatively calm water we cruise 20-22 kts which is about 2100-2200 rpm, maybe a little more. I know of another 35TE in my marina that recently went under contract with Yanmars and the PO said he ran 16-17 kts. If it is really choppy out, or seas are confused due to opposing wind and current directions, we drop back to 16-17, sometimes even lower to avoid pounding when running into the wind.

I don't think you would notice any difference in efficiency as the hulls require the same horsepower to go whatever cruise speed. There might be some difference but I would think it is minimal.

Yes the hulls are pretty stable due to wide beam, low center of gravity.

We have had our boat 3 years now and really like it. Good luck on your hunt.
Mike and Shannon
Tonic
2000 Albin 35TE (galley up, no FB)
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370's
jrecker
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Long Beach, CA

Re: Albin 35 TE power options

Post by jrecker »

Thanks for the feedback, that's pretty much what I expected.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”