• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2003 28 flush deck impeller

LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

2003 28 flush deck impeller

Post by LillianpFD »

I know there are threads around the forum regarding impeller changes but was wondering what the general consensus for a preventative maintenance change. I have a Yanmar 315 6LP STP. I ran mine for 7 years, I know way too long, but started doing most of my maintenance about five years ago and kept putting it off. Finally dove in today and almost gave up 3 times. The flush deck forward engine position leaves no space to remove the impeller cover and replace it. I had to remove half of the water pump (very tight and one blind screw there) but got it done. The impeller I removed was in good condition. It will take me half the time next time but in the meantime I know it’s something I won’t need to worry about. If anyone has balked at doing the change themselves on the 28 flush deck, ping me and I will walk you through it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: 2003 28 flush deck impeller

Post by Jkraft »

I always figured it had to be easier than the engine box model. All I can say is YIKES
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Post by Patrickgoggin »

I pulled the pump. It was way easier. I have the engine box model.
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Good for you for staying at it! As a flush deck owner, the easiest way I have performed this task is to just remove the entire pump. This has to be done one half at a time, both disassembly, and reassembly. My trick is I purchased a long set of bolts the same size as the ones that hold the two halves together. Cut off the heads to create a stud. This allows you to easily reassemble without damaging gasket and easily starting the other bolts. Keep an eye on your shaft seal for leakage. They are notorious for slinging water on your engine when they fail. Consider a rebuild in the off season for PM.

PS: a battery ratchet makes this entire task almost fun!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Agree, remove the pump.
Instead of replacing the impeller, I replace the whole pump, got 3 pumps, 1 is always ready to go in and a spare for the spare always ready as well. 8)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by LillianpFD »

Wow! You have abundant redundancy!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”