• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

deck storage boxes

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

deck storage boxes

Post by gmberkley »

My underneath deck storage boxes, one starboard, one port side, are getting a bit tired, small cracks etc, I'm sure new ones can't be purchased, has anyone done anything to beef them up, and fix minor cracks etc.
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
ControlIssues32
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hingham, ma

Re: deck storage boxes

Post by ControlIssues32 »

No but I’d like to do the same! I know that doesn’t help:).
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

They are simple gel-coated fiberglass. Regular fiberglass repair is all that is needed. Grind out the cracks with a dremel tool, fill cracks with epoxy/glass beads, reinforce weak areas with fiberglass matt/epoxy, sand smooth and paint with awlgrip or awlcraft 2000.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Excellent advice from a 28 owner. I wondered what they were made of but figured someone who knew would step in.

As usual there are two ways to approach this sort of problem. Visit Boatworks Today or whip out the checkbook. This is the perfect project for learning how to do fiberglass repair, as opposed to say, ripping out your bow eye after neglecting to remove the safety chain before attempting to bump your boat off the trailer. Not that I would know.

Once again, AOG comes through. Thanks, Dale.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by gmberkley »

i did a bit more research, West Systems makes a two part epoxy to repair plastic, I tried it, fantastic, worked great, after the repair I painted them with Krylon, came out pretty good, although no one will ever see them as they are below deck......forgot to add, my boxes are definitely plastic, not fiberglass, which explains my original post/question.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Thanks for clarifying, Gregg. They looked plastic in the pic, but hard to tell.

Glad you had good results and yes, only you will see them. Like lots of things on the boats we know so intimately.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

gmberkley wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:06 am i did a bit more research, West Systems makes a two part epoxy to repair plastic, I tried it, fantastic, worked great, after the repair I painted them with Krylon, came out pretty good, although no one will ever see them as they are below deck......forgot to add, my boxes are definitely plastic, not fiberglass, which explains my original post/question.
Glad that you found a solution, Gregg. You are correctthat the boxes in your boat are ABS mold injected, the same as the later model cockpit gunnel rod boxes, which I've used West Systems Six10 to repair.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”