• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sandbar approach on an Albin 28TE? Navigating shallow(er) waters

Jheiii
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Boca Raton

Sandbar approach on an Albin 28TE? Navigating shallow(er) waters

Post by Jheiii »

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I boat in the Southeast Florida area, in the Keys, and would like to hear from those with first hand experience on the Albin 28's in shallower waters.

What is the lowest point on the Albin 28 TE? Would we nudge the keel first if slowly approaching a sandbar to drop anchor? Is the boat alright resting on a mud/sand bottom overnight?

I often see 3ft on my depth sounder and while that is of little concern in our current boat (outboard), we are looking to add a second boat and this Albin 28TE checks every single box. We normally are over soft bottom when running that shallow, there is shoaling around our home port (Boca raton inlet) and we often have reports of 3.5-4 foot depth. I would appreciate insight as well on how these boats tend to behave around shallower inlets, I'm most appreciate of any insight. How shallow do you go in yours?

Thank you
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Sandbar approach on an Albin 28TE? Navigating shallow(er) waters

Post by Norseman »

Yes, the first part to hit on an Albin 28TE is the skeg protecting prop and rudder.
Unless you are heavy in the bow and you go slow.
Not that I have ever hit the bottom of course.. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

We say “touched bottom”. No hitting allowed.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Agreed with Norseman. I would not hesitate to do nudge onto a sandbar with no rocks (at low speed).

The rest of the hull is pretty V shaped, however, so you'd have some serious listing issues if you went aground at high tide and then the tide went out...
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”