• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

custom made canvas boat cover

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

custom made canvas boat cover

Post by gmberkley »

has anyone had a custom made boat cover made for an Albin 28? I'm looking into vs shrink wrapping the boat every year.

thanks
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: custom made canvas boat cover

Post by Pitou »

Last winter I was looking into this as well and had corresponded with Darren Fitzgerald at PM Winter Boat Covers about his line of Fisher Boat Covers. I was close to pulling the trigger and only held back because I was contemplating a short custom hardtop canvas extension from the radar arch over the cockpit. Darren sent me fabric samples and the 12 oz. duck was the right product for the northeast winters.

The cost was reasonable and they hit the road in the spring to measure boats. Last year's spring pricing for my 31 TE was $3,200 plus freight.

https://pmwinterboatcovers.com/boat-cov ... e-gallery/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I bought one for our 27FC last year but haven't used it yet because I'd already shrink wrapped Mazboot when the sale started.
I got it for 50% off, about $370.00 guaranteed to fit, and last at least 5 years. it's certainly very large and quite lightweight. I bought it after seeing one being put on a similar sized boat last winter.
Hope to be putting it on tomorrow in new winter quarters and will post pix in a couple of days if all goes as planned. If not, I'll use AOG to bitch about the seller and my gullible-ness
Details to follow.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

thanks Kevin, I reached out to them, I'll keep you posted, and Doug, thanks also for responding, please keep us posted.
Fairhaven, MA
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

I'll tell how my 27 cover fits tomorrow, but here's a link you might find useful: https://www.nationalboatcovers.com/y/AL ... /2000.html
I think I bought the cheap one. It's well made and hopefully fits the boat.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Kevin, how would this cover work on your boat considering that the hull is awlgripped? Also, do you you get much snow load? I think up here we'd have to figure on some framing.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

It would absolutely need to be framed and with the Awlgrip / Awlcraft, I would drape felt to lie in between.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

Doug, I spoke to a rep from the company you provided, looks good, but the issue for me is they don't provide an access door, I have to be able to get into the boat during the winter months, I do a lot of work on the boat and no access is no good, but I do thank you for the information. The company Kevin provided, gave me a quote within a few hours, will come and measure the boat to make it specifically for my boat, has vents, an access door, and a 10% discount if I order it by March 31st of 2023 for the fall of 2023. I need to give this option some serious thought.
Fairhaven, MA
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

There is an access door on the cover I fitted yesterday. The cover is actually in two halves with a huge zip on each side and a large velcro bit in the middle. Here are some pix of the first fitting. It went on quite easily considering I'd never done this before. Took about an hour or so.
I'll be going back on Friday or Saturday to add a support rope from the wheelhouse roof to the pulpit.
I am surprised how well it covers, considering that it cost well under $750.00. Dock-boss tells me it's good.

Here are couple of pix of the initial fitting. I'll take a couple of the zipper next time I'm down there to get it looking more Bristol fashion.
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0645.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Here are a couple of pix showing A) the huge, zipped opening on one side (there's one on the port side as well) B) the cover after adjustment and addition of a central support on the foredeck and support rope from the wheelhouse roof to the bowrail. It's already rained, and all is dry.
IMG_0649.jpg
IMG_0650.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”