• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How to moor an Albin 28

dhopkins
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: St Margarets Bay Nova Scotia

How to moor an Albin 28

Post by dhopkins »

As a proud owner of a Albin 28 Express, I am curious as to how everyone securely moors their boats. It seems that the placement of the kleets on the bow are so far appart it puts a lot of strain on 1 rope at a time. Suggestions welcome. Mooring in the North Atlantic can get rough.

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: How to moor an Albin 28

Post by DougSea »

I had my 28 on a mooring for several years and she stayed securely in place through several big North Easters. When it's blowing hard she seemed to sit with the strain fairly evenly distributed. Even if she hadn't I was confident the cleats and mooring tackle I was using were strong enough to each take the load, our concerns are usually around dragging as opposed to a pendant or cleats breaking. I had 3/4" pendants, 1/2" top chain, 3/4" bottom chain and a 500lb mushroom.

Hope that helps!

And welcome aboard! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

We have a 400# Dor-Mor mooring (inverted pyramid) with 1/2" chain with swivel up through the mooring ball.
The pennant is a "Y" harness of 5/8" or perhaps 3/4" 3-strand with chafing hose to run through the pulpit chalks. The ends are spliced to fit over the large bit behind the pulpit.
Holds very well with no issues.
When leaving the mooring, we simply clip the two spliced eyes to a long-reach pick-up buoy, and attach our inflatable or 13' Boston Whaler.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
dhopkins
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: St Margarets Bay Nova Scotia

Post by dhopkins »

Thanks Guys, I feel better now with my arrangement. Appreciate your qick responces.
Lobstabuoy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Post by Lobstabuoy »

Folks, I am in the process of buying a 28TE and will be keeping her on a mooring in Portland Maine. The boat doesn't have a windless yet, but I intend on installing one prior to launch. Reading the posts above, I'm still unclear how to manage mooring lines if not using the center roller on the pulpit? And if using a Y pennant line and the existing pulpit chalks, wouldn't I need to install a Sampson post or cleat adjacent to the windless?

Really appreciate any words of wisdom here.
Thanks.
Greg
2004 Albin 28TE
recppd
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by recppd »

I have a 2004 28TE Flush Deck that's slipped just outside Boston Harbor. We need to have storm moorings for when the winds blow over 40 knts. and you don't want your baby bashed around... Standard setup is a 24" ball on a 300 lb. mushroom with 3/4" chain and a 3/4" Y pendant. I simply split the pendant and bring both ends through the port and starboard forward cleats. Never had a problem. And yes, one side will be slack at times while the other is tight, but no worries. Just make sure you put the end of the pendant loop through the cleat and over to cinch, not just over the cleat like many I know. I do it this way because I have a windlass and anchor in the roller at all times.
Rob C.
2004 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
TonyDeb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Weymouth, Massachusetts USA

Post by TonyDeb »

Good afternoon!

We are new owners of a 1999 Albin 28TE. Moving from a slip (previous boat) to a mooring in Boston. We greatly appreciate all the advice and info on this forum. Wondering if someone could opine on the actual length of the pennants?

D&T

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”