• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windshield washing

jpwrist
First Mate
First Mate

Windshield washing

Post by jpwrist »

I use my Albin 28 in salt water and after a wave breaks over the bow (all the time) the forward windows end up with streaks of dried salt after I turn the wipers off and the windows dry. The only way I have found to fix this problem is to go forward and dump some fresh water on the windows and turn the windshields on. I am about to jury-rig a squeeze bottle with a long tube that deposits fresh water on the middle window. However, while probably functional, that doesn't appear like an elegant or "nautical" solution.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?

Jos
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I saw this system mounted on a new Albin last year and have been meaning to add this to my to do list. Vetus makes this system. I'm not sure on pricing.

Jack
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

RAIN X

Windshield wipers don't belong on boats, especially boats in saltwater. Tore mine off my 27 in the first season.

Now, for something really low tech but effective when the Rain X starts to need re doing, use a good old gas station sponge/squeege & reach around or through the center opening window.

A container with water & a bit of dishwashing liquid kept nearby helps to do a nice job

Cheap, reliable, & does the whole window.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Going into season four with the Albin and still wishing I had installed the Vetus screen washer posted above. Had ordered it when I bought the boat and it got back ordered to only arrive the day the boat was leaving the yard for the long trip to homeport. (Sure could have used it that day). :cry:

I have the Vetus '06 Price List / $ 214.50 for 2 windows and $ 45.00 for each additional window. :idea: You just tap into your existing fresh water supply or add a seperate tank for windshield wash.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I agree wiith VEEBYES, Rain X is a simple solution. I use it and it works great. I still have my windshield wipers on the boat for those ruff days on the bay. Installing another mechnical/electrical system is just one more maintenance thing to deal with.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I agree the RainX is a must, but it sure would be nice after a long run across a snotty bay or coming in from the fishing grounds offshore to hit a wash button after entering a river or harbor than sending someone out on the bow to spray the fresh water from a hose or bottle to clear the visibility.

Just one skips opinion.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jpwrist
First Mate
First Mate

RainX and Vetus washer

Post by jpwrist »

Thanks to all for the prompt and helpful comments.

I went out and purchased my first two boxes of RainX today.

I'll try it out and if it doesn't work to my satisfaction, will consider the Vetus solution.

I'm heading from Galveston, TX to the Bahamas in the next week and will appreciate the clearer windshield.

Jos
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Not to hijack the thread, but also headed to the Bahamas at the end of next week from Charleston. Abacos, Berries, etc. Will post more in the cruising section.

Let's have an Albin rendezvous!
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Bahamas

Post by Legacy »

Check out Treasure Cay when you make it to the Abacos. Great destination, great people, great fun.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our last boat (Camano 31) had this problem. It was never so bad that it hindered our ability to function, but it was certainly an annoyance. Upon buying the new boat, this was something we set out to deal with right at the get go. As it turned out, however, the flared bow and forward raked helm windows pretty much prevent spray from reaching the windows in all but the worst of weather.

Still, I had come up with a system that would work. Basically, my plan was to use the boat's pressurized fresh water system in conjunction with a remotely operated valve that would open when supplied with 12vdc. It was cheap, but hard to find (Grainger had it, but you need a commercial account to purchase). As for a nozzle, I was going to copy what I saw on the new Mainship 400, which is basically a piece of copper pipe with the end smashed in a vice to provide a wide spray. A short length of the pipe could be stuck through a small hole drilled above the windows in the pilothouse and then bent to aim back towards the window. Then, it was only a matter of plumbing it into the freshwater system.

I never did it because it proved unecessary, but I kind of had it all planned out.

Around here, if it's windy enough to throw spray over the bow, it's also raining enough to wash it off.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I bought some RainX to try too but I am just thankful to have real window glass and wipers. My last boat had no wipers and clear plastic from the windshield to the hard top. The fishing grounds are due East and heading out into the rising sun made it impossible to see through the big water drops. I had to stick my head out the side to see and get sprayed with ice cold water.
Now its sit back, turn on the wipers and enjoy the cabin heater.
Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Windshield washing

Post by Tree »

Bringing this thread to life and after a pretty awkward run in at 3am last Saturday morning, I’m finally going to get round to fitting a screen wash system.

What have people fitted? Did you pull from the main tank? Did you install a remote tank?

I’ve previously looked at the AFI system since it doesn’t require jets as it clips to the wiper arms - I’m assuming I can do that to the marinco pantograph arms anyway or is the Vetus system straight forward to install?

Any comments welcome!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

We bought a simple windshield washer kit from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HF ... UTF8&psc=1
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I went with the vetus kit in the end - should be straight forward enough to install. The AFI Marinco kit only offered 2 washer nozzles and after a number of calls to Marinco as no one in the U.K. could confirm if a third jet was available or could be installed I gave up trying!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
ron82056
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Danvers

Post by ron82056 »

I just put a washer system on mine. I tapped into the cold water under the helm and installed a solenoid in far left cubbie on the vanity. I ran the water feed above the bathroom headliner and drilled a hole through the vertical fiberglass near the bottom of the windshield. The hose is run in wire mold to each windshield. I just have a 90 degree fitting looking down running water over the glass. A button on the dash activates the system.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”