• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Composting Heads

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Eastwind
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Burnt Store Marina

Composting Heads

Post by Eastwind »

We have a 96 Command Bridge 32. Presently on the west coast of Florida. Like all boats the Albin has that familiar unwanted odour especially if we are onboard for a month or more. The head is a Raritan conventional style hand pump with an electric motor going to holding tank or via an ageing Lectra Scan unit.
In spite of having a system that cost a fair few bucks the system still smells, not badly but its there.

I have been seriously considering installing a C-Head (made in Florida) composting head.
There are a few issues with fitting it in place as the current head is on a platform as are all Command bridges, its part of the moulded inner shell. The C-Head shorty is only 15" high so thats not a problem .....
In any event I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or composting marine heads in general.

Thanks.....
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Composting Heads

Post by Nancy »

There's no reason that any head system should stink. When is the last time the waste hose was changed? Unless it's relatively modern hose, they permeate over time.

I know at least one 32CB has a composting toilet, but that boat was sold and I don't know if the new owner is active here. The previous owner swore by that toilet.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Eastwind
Mate
Mate

Post by Eastwind »

Thanks again Nancy. Our current head is not that bad compared with ones we have had on numerous Sailboats in the past. Our Lectra Scan unit is old and the hoses and holding tank probably original. (boat is new to us so there are a lot of hoses etc that need replacing) Just seemed easier to tear it all out and close off 2 below the water seacocks as a bonus.
The other concern is that the area we are in is jammed with Marine Parks and I don't think even the Lectra Scan is OK in those areas. We have a diverter valve to route waste that would have gone through the LS to the holding tank.
We also don't have pump out services at our dock we have to move the boat to the pump out.
Life was so much easier in the days when we were young and sailed our 26ft pace ship offshore to the Islands from Nova Scotia. We had a sextant and a bucket and chuck it.

This boat is a stay on it in the winter boat we live aboard if we can get there for @ 4 months of the year.
When we are away we figured we could empty the composting toilet and leave it clean for when we returned...

This is the unit we are looking at

https://www.c-head.com
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Oh, you stick and rag men and your tolerance for disgusting odors! :D
I believe the composting head on the 32 I referred to was an Air Head.

I'm 99% certain that your LectraSan is fine as long as it's routed into a holding tank. I don't know about Florida, but on inland waters, the overboard Y-valve has to be disabled.

Do you still spend summers in Nova Scotia?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

I know the question is about composting heads. I’m familiar enough with them but I replaced the head in my 28 with a Raritan Freshhead. It’s plumbed into the fresh water system which means zero odors and it was designed with a bolt pattern that matches the stock manual heads. So no need to drill bolt holes, no need to supply electricity for the head fan and no need to drill a hole for the head vent (this is required for the Airhead). I highly recommend the Freshhead.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Eastwind
Mate
Mate

Post by Eastwind »

Thanks jms looks like a solid unit.
Thought some would find this amusing. After searching around for feedback about C-Head composting units I just found out that my neighbour in the slip next to me has one and recommends them,. hmmmmm! :oops:

>nancy..... we live in Nova Scotia but spend winters down south. Due to the pandemic we are stuck on terra firma... cheers.
hulamoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matawan Creek, New Jersey

Post by hulamoon »

Odor is being caused by the accumulation of uric scale inside the hoses. Odor of this scale will permeate the hoses causing your current situation. There is a product on the market called "SEW Clean" produced by TRAC Ecologic which removes these uric scale deposits from the hoses. No scale... no stink! That simple. I've used it on my boat and it works as advertised. Hope this helps.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

hulamoon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:28 am Odor is being caused by the accumulation of uric scale inside the hoses. Odor of this scale will permeate the hoses causing your current situation. There is a product on the market called "SEW Clean" produced by TRAC Ecologic which removes these uric scale deposits from the hoses. No scale... no stink! That simple. I've used it on my boat and it works as advertised. Hope this helps.
Wow, that is great info.
Thx
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

hulamoon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:28 am Odor is being caused by the accumulation of uric scale inside the hoses. Odor of this scale will permeate the hoses causing your current situation. There is a product on the market called "SEW Clean" produced by TRAC Ecologic which removes these uric scale deposits from the hoses. No scale... no stink! That simple. I've used it on my boat and it works as advertised. Hope this helps.

I descaled mine about two years ago with normal limescale remover. Took a couple of goes to get rid of the uric acid completely but it worked in the end. I now flush with fresh water and use jabsco toilet cleaner at the end of each day to control any further build up.

So far, pretty smell free!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”