• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Portlight gasket replacement on CB35

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Apollo Beach, FL

Portlight gasket replacement on CB35

Post by Rondo »

Like most more recent CB vessels, our 2007 CB 35 has six lovely SS opening portlights in the forward cabin. 83.3% of them are not leaking. The one, leaking a lot. I have determined that these most likely are "Passage Series" by Bomar. I can see that the rubber gasket material has deteriorated and pulled away from the outer frame, so a leak is no surprise. This is understandably due to exposure to 14 or 15 years of UV exposure to the Florida sun. A call to Bomar finds that they do have this material available. It is pricey at $12 per foot, plus some kind of environmental surcharge of 15%. This appears to be a custom extruded rubber product, so no good options, unless someone here can steer me to something that works. Anyone out there that has successfully done this?
Rondo
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Portlight gasket replacement on CB35

Post by Pitou »

Well you've done better than I when I eas rebedding one of my Passage series ports a couple plus years ago when Bomar told me that they did not provide gasket material for their portlights, leaving it to the installer to choose what's best for their install.

I used butyl tape which I use for almost all above waterline bedding and it worked great for the rebedding of my Passage Series portlght as well. Amazon has a tone of it and this looks similar to what I had gotten a few years back from Compass Marine, but Compass is no longer selling product.

https://www.amazon.com/GSSI-Sealants-Bu ... r=8-5&th=1
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rondo »

THanks for the tip. If I end up removing the port for rebedding it will be handy. However, i am pretty sure the leak is due to decomposition of the rubber gasket inside. It appears that I can remove the old rubber and replace whihout removing it from the boat. The leak clearly coming from between the glass and the gasket. I have found something I think has a chance of solving the issue. I'll post if it works.
Rondo
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rondo »

I tracked down the right rubber extrusion for the Bowmar portlight seals. It is part number S-217. It is sold by the foot, has an aggressive peel & stick adhesive, so you only need to glue the ends together. I found it in stock at Fawcett Boat Supplies in Annapolis. $13 per foot.
Rondo
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Rondo wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:23 pm I tracked down the right rubber extrusion for the Bowmar portlight seals. It is part number S-217. It is sold by the foot, has an aggressive peel & stick adhesive, so you only need to glue the ends together. I found it in stock at Fawcett Boat Supplies in Annapolis. $13 per foot.
Rondo
Thanks for sharing this.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Great info - thank you!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jembuild
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Groton CT.

Post by Jembuild »

Hi All!
I’m new to this forum. I’m looking at a 2000 32+2.
Despite some issues I really like the boat!
One issue is the sliding windows in the galley and dinette area.
Thy have become corroded and inoperable.
Does anyone here know the manufacturer of these windows should I need to replace them?

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”