• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Surprise oil in the bilge

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Rondo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Apollo Beach, FL

Surprise oil in the bilge

Post by Rondo »

This is about an issue unique to the Cummins QSB engines. A change from the original 6BTA 370, was moving the oil filter from it's troublesome location down low on the side, and making a new location up, near the top of the engine. An adapter on the original mount provides for two hose assemblies, one going up to the new filter location, and the other returning to the pan. These hose assemblies are a combination of custom bent steel tubing with a swivel fitting at each end, and a piece of hose between. This makes it much easier to change oil filters, as it is now located in easy reach, away from the bilge.

We were picking up the boat after some work at the yard. It had sat in the water overnight, so, a cold engine start. We were a long idle away from open water, so I didn't bother to warm up much, as we'd be going slow for a while, anyway We had only moved 50 yards or so, and I got a beep and a "no oil pressure" warning. I immediately turned back and tied up. Upon opening the engine hatch, it was easy to see why there was no oil pressure - all the oil was in the keep bilge. Fortunately, the bilge was low, so no spill to deal with. One of the steel tubes running up to the oil filter had cracked at a bend in the tubing. I was able to make a jury rig fix by cutting off the 5/8 tube with a hacksaw and putting a piece of 5/8 hose in place with two clamps at each end. We made it home OK, but needless to say the bilge was a mess.

I ended up buying several bottles of West Marine Bilge Cleaner and started by pouring a couple bottles full strength into the forward bilge. It was surprising how well it worked! To make a long story short, I allowed things to sit for a couple days then repeated the process, using a hose to agitate things. I should mention that I disabled the bilge pumps to prevent an overboard oopsie. I used my oil change pump/bucket system to suck the sorry mix from the bilge. I transferred it to gallon bottles which then went to the oil recycling center. More bilge cleaner and some oil "diapers" picked up nearly everything in a few days. I found the replacement hose/tube assemblies in stock at a dealer in LA for the bargain price of $425 EACH. There goes another BOAT unit. I can recommend the West bilge cleaner with no hesitation.

At any rate we are back on the water with the damage limited to the bank account. I still need to tell my insurance company how much I saved them by keeping an empty bilge.

Life goes on.
Rondo

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”