• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

BILGE PUMP NEAR PROP

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Pauld
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Newport Beach

BILGE PUMP NEAR PROP

Post by Pauld »

I have a 2007 CB 35...with the Cummins 380 HP engine.

Although there is a bilge pump (the so-called "middle" pump) under the transmission that works well, the bilge area near the prop shaft log seems to be lower and some water accumulates.

My mechanic tells me that I should install a small bilge pump in that low area to keep water from splashing up on the aft part of the engine...which he says will eventually cause rust.

MY QUESTION - has anybody experienced this issue and/or has anybody installed a small bilge pump in that area?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: BILGE PUMP NEAR PROP

Post by jmfernan »

My 32+2 has two bilge pumps under the propeller shaft- a larger standard rule centrifugal pump forward and a PAR diaphragm pump aft close to the shaft seal/propeller. The diaphragm is mounted remotely (near steering cylinder base) and has a remote pickup that is small enough to fit well aft near the shaft seal. These pumps can run dry and do a good job picking up most water but need a pre-filter.

The shallow bilge aft (leaky hatches/gunnel top can contribute nuisance water) mean it doesn't take much to fling water around which is bad news. I recently pulled the motor (had a freshened 6LY2A-440 waiting) as it felt the effects of a wet bilge with suspect corrosion at the oil drain fitting in the pan and gear output shaft seal.

While I had the motor out I had a small bilge sump box installed under the shaft, large enough to hold the diaphragm pickup and a switch. Pic attached. Basically cut fiberglass and foam below, placed a small plywood box in the cavity, glass, gelcoat. This collects any nuisance water that gets in.

Joe
1999 32+2
Yanmar 6LY2A-440
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Pauld, yes, agreed, that keel bilge/pocket needs a pump. The 31TE and probably the 35TE share this design problem. Here's a thread with a great approach: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13954&p=93930&hilit ... ump#p93930

We'll be adding a bilge pump to this area this year. Our mechanic has suggested a diaphragm pump with weighted pickup and a manual switch as the simplest approach. It's not as elegant as the thread above, but should do the trick.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Nancy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:29 pm Pauld, yes, agreed, that keel bilge/pocket needs a pump. The 31TE and probably the 35TE share this design problem. Here's a thread with a great approach: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13954&p=93930&hilit ... ump#p93930

We'll be adding a bilge pump to this area this year. Our mechanic has suggested a diaphragm pump with weighted pickup and a manual switch as the simplest approach. It's not as elegant as the thread above, but should do the trick.
Not to mention, the seflo dry bilge is on backorder everywhere and has been for a while now. It is a sweet, low cost unit though
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palatka, FL

Post by Maogwaicat »

I just purchased the Seaflo dry bilge pump on Amazon, it is here. All that was available was the 24 Volt version so I also purchased a DC Converter 12v-24v. I think I paid total $180 for the kit. Now I need someone talented to install!

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”