• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

32+2 Measured Beam

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA

32+2 Measured Beam

Post by jmfernan »

Hello group- I'm looking to buy a 32+2 Command Bridge. Our marina is very strict regarding LOA and beam.

Has anyone measured the beam of a 32+2 (or 32 SF or 35 Command Bridge) at the widest point? I've seen a few different beams reported for the 32+2 and it would help to have a real life measurement.

Thanks,
Joe
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Re: 32+2 Measured Beam

Post by Dr Luke »

I didn't measure mine, but there is a doc named "32+2 Technical Specifications Bulletin" in the document section under Command Bridge (folder is actually named "CB"). It states beam overall 12' 3", with ahull length of 34' 11" (probably without pulpit). It doesn't state the year of brochure, but I don't believe they ever tweaked that dimension, as would likely entail brand new molds.
Hope this helps.

Paul
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmfernan »

Thanks Paul. That must be without pulpit, most of the 32+2 LOAs seem to be just under 37'. I'm seeing 12'2" to 12'4" in various ads, hopefully that's correct.
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr Luke »

How picky is the marina about the beam and LOA? I would be surprised if they made an issue over 2 inches beam and several inches length, but then again... My 32+2 is a 2000 (hull #3 that year, actually laid up mid 1999). Next time I go to the marina I can measure pulpit beyond the actual hull, but if they worry about attachments, there are also ladder rungs protruding from stern on all the boats I saw including mine adding about 5".
Paul

Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr Luke »

Joe,
I just checked the document I referenced above, "Albin 32+2 Command Bridge Tech Specs", and it starts with:
L.O.A. (C/W Pulpit and Swim Platform) 36' 09"
I've seen "C/W" used in context meaning "Comes With", although I think it's an archaic contraction. That would suggest it's the number you're looking for, and I doubt that the ladder rungs on stern of boat bolted to transom will be noticed!
Paul

jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmfernan »

Dr Luke wrote:How picky is the marina about the beam and LOA? I would be surprised if they made an issue over 2 inches beam and several inches length, but then again... My 32+2 is a 2000 (hull #3 that year, actually laid up mid 1999). Next time I go to the marina I can measure pulpit beyond the actual hull, but if they worry about attachments, there are also ladder rungs protruding from stern on all the boats I saw including mine adding about 5".
Unfortunately they are extremely strict. They measure the LOA and beam with plumb bobs, and include all parts of the boat- anchors, outdrives, rub rails- everything!

My slip allows 38' LOA so I expect to be fine there. Unfortunately the max beam allowed is 12'2". If you are able to measure your beam at the widest point I would be very grateful, as there aren't any 32+2s that I'm aware of in California. Our marina is full of boats with folding bowsprits and swim platforms to conform to the rules...
Thanks.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yikes you might be going about this all wrong. I think you need a new marina! Lol. But in all seriousness I'll see if I can meet my dad down at the marina in the next week or two to help him measure poco's beam (dr luke is my father...I may be responsible for him getting an Albin. Lol). I suspect you will be over the 12'2" mark however. His slip is 14' wide. Which means he should have 11" clearance per side at the widest point and I don't think he has quite that much. More like 8-9". I think the rub rail will put you over the edge
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmfernan »

Thanks Jeremy. We've been given 12'3" so there's a chance...
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr Luke »

The following came to me by email on this topic... Probably directed to me accidentally instead of on this Board (source omitted to avoid embarassment?):

"I've coming late to the party but it seems that your marina is looking for a boast in income, at the expense of the owners (what else is new).

The 1 or 2 times I have been asked for boat length over what is printed on the boat rear quarter I point to the number. 43 in our case and say that's what the company measured.

Last time that happened was in Havre de Grace and since I had added a dinghy on davits we settled on 2' (I said the pulpit was part of the build). I also offered that if they wanted to break out a tape and get an ACCURATE measurement that would be another thing. Nobody showed up with a tape.

The marinas, I had only seen this exercised on a transient, want to get as much as possible.

Next time someone raises that length with me I'm going to say, show me you own the air rights because I'm only taking up 38' on the waterline.

Never had anyone talk about beam, they ask to make sure you fit in the slip but in this case do they charge for volume of water moved?

Could have mis-read the whole post, if so sorry."
Paul

jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmfernan »

Thanks for passing that on Paul, sounds like that person has a 43. We're still looking for an accurate measured beam for a 32+2.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

im gonna be heading down to the marina tomorrow morning to grab some stuff off shady, assuming they still have my dads 32 in the yard and not in the shop im gonna do my best to get that measurement for u
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Ok so I measured up today. Got a little variation between the measurements as I was working solo, but I got between 12'2.75" and 12'3.25". Sadly that's the best I could do solo. So it looks like it's gonna be tight. Now this it to the very outside of the run rails. Tried to get the widest point I could (boat is also covered at the moment)
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmfernan »

Thanks Jeremy, appreciate the effort and the disclosure of tolerance. It sounds like I'll have to try to get them to allow 12'4" before I go through the trouble of shipping a boat across the country. Hopefully they do, as there's nothing else I've found that checks all of our boxes like the 32+2.
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr Luke »

God luck! It didn't take ong for me to fall in love with mine... and the Admiral loves it almost more!
Paul

jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmfernan »

Thanks- we now are allowed 12'4" so a 32+2 is in our future. Just need to find the right one. If anyone is interested in selling we are ready to buy.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”