• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A34

Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

A34

Post by Ron222 »

It seems that interest in the Albin 34's is growing, yet, few places exist for exchanging exclusive information among A34 owners. Can our webmaster include A34 in the Classic Albin Trawler listing so that it will read 34/36/40/43? This will give us a home and avoid getting a complex about feeling left out. Just a suggestion.
Ron
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: A34

Post by jleonard »

The 36/40/43 are very similar boats of the same era.
I am not convinced that the 34 belongs with this group. From what I've seen it is nothing at all like the old "taiwan trawlers".
You say it is an extended 27 . If so it's better off grouped there.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Ron222 »

Well, it appears I struck a sensitive cord with the A36's and up. I can't wait to make my suggestions to the A25/A27 group and find rejection because the A34 is too big or too fast or not the right color. I am beginning to feel rejection. If necessary, I will take my anchor and set up my own blog site.
Capt Ron
Paumanok A34
Westbrook, Ct
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Well, it appears I struck a sensitive cord with the A36's and up
Sorry that was not my intention. You can reside here if you'd like. Hey we'll take all the New Englanders we can.
Just seeing a pic of your boat it is similar to the 27s not similar at all to the 36 and up oldies.
I doubt you have teak decks, teak windows, no mast, probably not a Ford Lehman diesel, and built in US not Taiwan. You are more than welcome to take a visit to Portland see my boat so you know what I mean.
If I'm incorrect in that assessment then I'll stand corrected.
That means when you ask about a system we can't answer based on specific knowledge of your model boat.
However, the more modern 27 owners likely can.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Ron222 »

I would love to see your A40. Living in Middletown makes it simple. Please let me know when you will be at your boat. Are you there on the weekdays? This weekend will be hard because there is much do on Paumanok. However, you can email me off-line at <removed for spammers>. Send me an email and I will give you my cell phone number to make the arrangements. Thanks for the offer.
Ron
A34 Paumanok
(Wintering at Midway, Haddam)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Are you there on the weekdays
Rarely...I'm still a working slob. :lol: Although I was there today at lunchtime....made a run from work to check out how the tarp was doing. Made a few quick ajustments and flew back to work in Farmington only 5 minutes late! Not bad.

Might be there a few days in mid November doing some work...I'll give you a holler.
I loved Midway, wish they could haul this boat...but Yankee is good too.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Don't feel left out with the 34. It is not a Taiwan built boat like the old 36s etc. It looks like a 27 on steroids but does not have a hull anything like a 27. It was only produced for a few years so there are only a few around. Unfortunately it was not a good seller. Not enough 'bling' for the American market.

It's closest relative is the 32 which began life as the 32 'family fisherman' in 1989 using what used to be the 34 hull. The early 32 also had the near identical fwd cabin to the 34.

The 34 is only one of many short lived models built by Albin. Anyone ever seen a 24 'Getaway'? How about the 27 'Gatsby Edition'? Are there any 35 'Sports fisher' owners in our group?
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Information on the 24' Getaway can be found in the A25/A27 forum. Suspect that it is under that heading as there is also a real 27' Getaway, not just an LOA 24' Getaway hull measured at 27'. I consider the Albin 24' Getaway a best kept secret... I can see a 24' Getaway each time I look out the back door... :D

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
pilotcarpenter
Swabby
Swabby

Post by pilotcarpenter »

I share the feelings of the other A34 owners. Mine is the "hard body" model, no canvas enclosure, with a full length bridge. It is not just a 27' on steroids. Still, feel like this site is a place of rejection. Who had the idea of blog of his or her own?
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Pilotcarpenter, there is no reason to feel rejected. Very few 34s were produced so the law of averages says you won't have many owners who will be active on sites such as this.

Want to see lonely? Check the last time a posting was made on the 32. They were produced from the end of 34 production till the end of Albin. There are not as many 32s as the 27 & nowhere near the number of 28s but a scan of a site like Yachworld indicates that there are a fair number around.

Mine has been on the hard mothballed since 06. I hope to get to it this winter for some major refurbishment. The engine is coming out. I want to make/get smaller fuel tanks etc.etc. Maybe when I start on that project I'll have questions & be able to flush out some of the 32 owning lurkers on AOG. :lol:
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Two Lauries
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Two Lauries »

Although I think the A34 is a lot like a 27 on steroids, it is unique.
I think it (we) deserve our own subgroup.

Lawrie
1988 A34
Two Lauries
1988 34 Albin Trawler
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate

Re: A34 Update

Post by Ron222 »

Just wanted to provide an update to the A34 folks that our soon-to-be named A34 Paumanok is going through major overhauling. The shaft log, cutlass bearing and all hoses have been replaced as well as a cracked motor mount. The shaft was difficult to turn but now spins like a top. The boatyard is doing a fantastic job. I am in the process of filling the rotted balsa core around all the ports and spots on the deck, installing new bladder water tanks, new holding tank, battery charger, windlass, repositioning the radar to to a tower and the list goes on. I am using CPES to solve the core rot problems. This is a product called Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer that is sold in Seattle from "The Rot Doctor". It is a very slow cure but ends up with the same consistency as very hard rubber. It has the advantage over Git-Rot in that it penetrates very deeply, can be applied to moist balsa and has flexibility when cured. The filler epoxy can be started within days since the final cure can take weeks depending on temperature. Has anyone used CPES on their boat? I am curious how they liked the end result. I would be happy to post a review after I am done. Last, I found that our propellor is a 26 x 27 on a 1.5 inch shaft. This is a pretty big propellor. I am wondering with any of the A34's in this group if they also have the same prop. Our boat has a Cummins 210 Turbo. Can others let me know what prop they have on their boat and what engine?? Thanks very much.
Ron
Two Lauries
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Two Lauries »

Hi Ron,

I'm visiting the site for the first time in a while and I'm thrilled to find that the A34 now has its own forum.
We have a 1988 A34 with the Cummins 6BT 5.9. And yes we have the same shaft and prop size you have.
It seems to match nicely with the engine.

Cheers,
Lauries
Two Lauries
1988 34 Albin Trawler
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Ron222 »

Hi Lauries,
Thanks for responding to the A34 blog. I was hoping to hear from A34's owners o compare notes. Hopefully, word of this forum will grow and other A34 owners will be found. I do have the Cummins 6BT 5.0 engine which is running very well but I am going to have the fuel injectors tested next month for blowby. I doubt either of the two previous owners ever inspected the injectors and there is now a small amount of blowby in the valve housing and exhaust line. While the injectors are out it will also be a good time to check the compression in each cylinder just to know how the engine is doing after 24 years and 1500 hrs. By the way, at what RPM to you run your engine while cruising? I have been running at 2000-2050 which is within the 20% below max RPM but wonder if others have different ideas for the Cummins. Last question, when steering from the flybridge do you find it more difficult to stay on a straight course than steering in the wheel house. It shouldn't matter because both run off the same hydraulic line but there is definitely a difference.
Ron
1986 A34 Paumanok
Bill Terry
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by Bill Terry »

Hi all from Pensacola, FL. I bought a 1988 34' albin in march with a Cummins eng. also. I have replaced the hot water tank; eng. alt; impellers in eng. and generator, and refinished most wood in wheel house. I love the boat; cruse at bout 10 MPH; use about 2.5 gal. of fuel at that speed. She will run up to 15 MPH, but uses lotsa fuel. Had a bow thruster, and have now installed a stern one. What a difference. I'd be interested in meeting any owner in my area. Come cruise the gulf coast.

Return to “33/34”