• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Initial A34 inspection.

halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Initial A34 inspection.

Post by halfmoon »

Plan to look at an A34 soon. Tried to send PMs and emails, but was not successful. What should I look for on an initial, pre-marine surveyor, inspection of an Albin 34? Have looked at the TE 28, but wife hated it. Hope the greater creature comforts of the A34 will create a more positive impression.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Initial A34 inspection.

Post by jleonard »

I have nothing to add other than these pics we took this fall on the CT river of a replica of your "namesake".

IMG_1282 (768 x 512).jpg
IMG_1273 (512 x 768).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

halfmoon wrote:Plan to look at an A34 soon. Tried to send PMs and emails, but was not successful. What should I look for on an initial, pre-marine surveyor, inspection of an Albin 34? Have looked at the TE 28, but wife hated it. Hope the greater creature comforts of the A34 will create a more positive impression.
The 28TE and the A34 are VERY different boats. So my first question is: What do you want to do on the boat?

Once you get past that;

First impressions can be revealing. What do you think of the boat as you drive/walk up? As you step aboard? Is she clean? Well kept?

Any obvious signs of problems? Tracks from leaks (which may be minor but I don't know your experience level). What does the bildge look like? On an older boat it may not be all clean and shiney but it shouldn't look like the Deepwater Horizon either. How's the engine look.

Smells? All boats have some smells but they shouldn't be too strong.

Use your senses, look around.

SIT on the head (I tell everyone that - you'd be amazed at some of the unuseable heads out there!!) :)

Stand at the helm. Can you see everything well?

Look at the hull, any signs of damage? If so, was it repaired well? Any signs of leaks around thru-hulls?

There are deeper levels you can go to but at some point a surveyor will be involved. Hope that helps get you started.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by halfmoon »

Have owned Morgan 34, Islander 30, Nordica 20, Catalina 34 and PDQ 36. I agree with all of Doug's suggestions, especially smells. Never got the Islander to satisfactory olfactory status. What I am seeking are suggestions specific to Albins and to the A 34 in particular.
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Half Moon,

I don't think the boat you are going to look at has a bow thruster. It may not be necessary with the 2 engines though. We were sold on the layout - but that is something very personal to each crew. Many Admirals like the galley "up", personally I wanted it down. The galley is then another "living space" beside the spacious salon and upper helm station/deck. Our A 34 had not been well cared for - the mildew smell gave that away immediately but we saw the possibilities and Ron is retired and needed a "project". Just see that you can do maintenance - oil changes, winter layup etc without too much difficulty. We've lived aboard for a month the longest time so far and loved it. Keep us all posted. Good luck,
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by halfmoon »

Inspection done. In spite of all the positive attributes, the absence of reasonable side decks makes the A34 unsuitable for our use. I am 68 and not as nimble as in yesteryear so the passage from pilothouse aft or forward was met with some trepidation. Perhaps I'll have to find a "Europa" style boat. I'm disappointed, so the search goes on.
henryandsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by henryandsusan »

We purchased our A34 almost two years ago. We love it! However, we have had to replace the teak around the steps on both doors due to water damage. Traced the leak to the aft stbd flybridge area; also replaced the damaged core in that area. We knew there was a leak when we purchased and reduced the purchase price accordingly. Other than the leak, we've been quite satisfied with boat. Tremendous room for a 34.

Henry and Susan
A34 Mary Louise
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Henry & Susan,

Where are you located? We are out of Westbrook CT and cruise east - the Cape, Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket etc. Sometimes eastern LI and BI. Does your 34 have a flybridge and deck? Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok
Westbrook, CT
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
henryandsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by henryandsusan »

Marcy K,

We're in Fernandina Beach, FL. We just had our flybridge fully enclosed. We like the view from the FB when traveling and this will allow us to use the boat in cooler climates like yours. Hope to get up your way before too long. Henry and Susan

A34 Mary Louise

Return to “33/34”