• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windlass Repair/Replace

tsantoro
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Marblehead MA

Windlass Repair/Replace

Post by tsantoro »

I have a Superwinch 1452 Capstan Windlass on my '87 Albin 34 that has stopped working. It is not the switch or solenoid. Can the motor be removed without removing the anchor pulpit. Can the motor be replaced? Anyone have any experience with this or advice? Thanks!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Windlass Repair/Replace

Post by jleonard »

Got any pictures? I couldn't come up with a hit on a google search.

I completely rebuilt a Nilsson winch 2 years ago and had the motor rebuilt.
I also took it completely apart last summer while underway to fix a broken shear pin.
A PIA job, but doable.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tsantoro
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Marblehead MA

Post by tsantoro »

Can't find any pictures that might be helpful - will keep looking. If you zoom in you can see the capstan (wrapped by the anchor chain) protruding through the wooden anchor pulpit with a rubber foot switch on deck. The motor is accessible through the anchor locker. I can't tell yet where the bolts or screws to remove the motor are. If I need to remove the pulpit to get to the bolts/screws, that's a much bigger deal than I want to deal with... Thanks!!
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Did you ever have any luck tracking down the bolts and getting the winch off?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “33/34”