• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

improving and maintaining swordfish (albin 33)

swordfish
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Den Helder. "Onrust" marina

improving and maintaining swordfish (albin 33)

Post by swordfish »

After owned varius boats i was looking for a trawler. As a young boy I was always very impressed by the bold lines of these ships with there flybridge and flared bow, and because there are not many sailing around in the Netherlands.
After a long search I found out that an GrandBanks was way to expensive so i looked for a more affordable solution. I eventually found this albin 33 that fit within my budged. Always well maintained she was for sale because the previous owner had become too old for her. I decided to buy the old lady from 1978.
Because I think there were certain things that could be better, immediately after the purchase i went to work at improving some bits and pieces. Which I will post some pictures from time to time.
I hope you enjoy.
this boat is a status symbol, it symbolizes that I have no more money
Collision regulations: When in danger or in doubt, run is circles, scream and shout!
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Re: improving and maintaining swordfish (albin 33)

Post by swordfish »

first I wanted to get rit off the chair. this is much too big for the small salon. the chair blocked the entrance and you could not have a good look around if you are sitting on the bench.
So i started to gently breakdown the helm seat and attempted to preserve as much as possible teak because here is not enough old teak in stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Collision regulations: When in danger or in doubt, run is circles, scream and shout!
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

starting to look like something
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Are you gonna put anything in its place?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

If i have to drive inside i put down a single chair. If i got a few guest onboard i can turn that chair around and face the crowd :D
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Great job
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

Jay Knoll wrote:Great job
thanks

in dutch... "Dank je wel"
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

starting to get rit of leakage. step one, find the leak

when i removed the trim it was al wet and i know i was on the right place.
The previous owner has the same problem already tried to fix with popsicles sticks??
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

because water remains behind the trim the popsicles sticks are started to rot.
the wood must first be dried
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

first i cut out out the rotten pieces of wood en second i treated the wood with a wood rot stopper. after it settles after a day i started to fil with 2component wood filler
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

starting to finish the project i had to chalk and put back the trim. I'm not putting the popsicles sticks back :lol:

just using allot of chalk and not mis a spot
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

as one leaking problem is solved at the front...

now the leaking rear hatch has to be solved.
I bought a old (2014) model vetus deck hatch for 50%off. and trim down the edge with an angle grinder so it sits flush on the deck.
I had to cut some wood out of the deck so that the hatch levers fit in.
This repair has to be made so no (rain)water can come in anymore and i can assure you no water is comming in... and no water is going out.
The rear section of the "Zwaardvis" was not driet properly when the hatch was closed. so after a couple of days a mold began to build up :roll:
After cleaning up there were a couple of vents build in :D
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

there is not much room on a small boat. therefore I do not understand why not al places are used.

in the galley is place for 4 drawers. but there are only 3. just for fun I made in a fourth drawer.
Unfortunately, there is not much teak available so I had to improvise.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Beautiful work, Swordfish!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
swordfish
First Mate
First Mate

Post by swordfish »

today I wanted to clean the ship's keel (inside of the hull?) i found a few blisters. when I made it open there was moisture underneath it ...of course...
Found out that underneat the bow thruster ware a couple of damage spots in the bottom fiberglass which have to seal de concrete ballast. moisture from the chainlocker and rainwater that came in through the samson post leaked onto the concrete and loosend all the fiberglass and paint from the bow up to and under the motor.
I can tell you that after a lot of years...stagnant water can stink tremendously.
half work does not work, so I'm going to handle this well. First I take everything to the side then i strip of all loose paint and fiberglas, let it dry thoroughly and seal the concrete again. sounds easy :cry:

Return to “33/34”