• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rendezvous Planning

Coordinator - Lou Bennett (loubennett)
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Rendezvous Planning

Post by loubennett »

It's getting warmer and it's time to focus on the rendezvous. We have had good response so far and I hope more will commit in the near future. St. Michaels Harbour Inn is holding slips for us until March 31. After that you will be taking your chances on availability. They have a very liberal cacellation policy so there is little risk in reserving now. The phone number is 800-955-9001. Be sure to tell them you are with the Albin Owners Group.

I hope to see you there.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rendezvous Planning

Post by loubennett »

I want to start some discussion on the agenda and activities for the rendezvous. I would like to get some feedback from those who plan to attend so I can make any necessary arrangements. I am particularly interest in comments on the Saturday afternoon/evening gathering. Below is a suggested agenda with some options where they apply.

Friday arrival – Informal – Renew acquaintances, meet new people, visit other boats, go to the pool, etc.

Friday cocktail hour – Any volunteers to host a cocktail party on their boat? If not, cocktails at the pool or at the Crab & Steak (cheaper drinks and entertainment)

Friday dinner – Informal groups form and dine at one of the many restaurants in St. Michaels.

Saturday daytime – John has arranged for a qualified diesel mechanic to give us a talk on diesel maintenance. I think we should schedule this before lunchtime (about 10:30 or 11). It will probably be held in a meeting room in the hotel. Scheduling before lunch will leave time for everyone to visit St. Michaels in the afternoon.

Saturday afternoon/evening gathering – This is the one where I really need some feedback. Anything is possible from “pot luck” to a catered dinner. I’m leaning toward a cocktail party with heavy hors d’oeuvres. We can stock a bar ahead of time and have the hors d’oeuvres catered. I have reserved a lovely venue for the event and anything is possible. We can make the drinks bring your own or provided. We can make the food “pot luck” or catered. We can make the it hors d’oeuvres or dinner. Obviously there are cost implications and donations will be required to cover the costs. Let me know what you think. Anything can be arranged.

Saturday night – There are plenty of options if night life is on your list.

Sunday morning – The Harbour Inn serves a good breakfast and there are other options downtown.

Sunday mid-day – I believe the checkout time for the marina is 12N. If you ask the dockmaster nicely, he may let you extend awhile. They normally don’t have many boats coming in on Sunday and are pretty flexible on when you leave. Another option is to stay another night. Sunday evening with the locals at the Crab & Steak is one of my favorite times in St. Michaels.

Saturday/Sunday special event – I’m reasonably sure the log canoes will be holding their first races of the year in St. Michaels Saturday and Sunday. If you haven’t seen these historic craft that are unique to the Chesapeake Bay, it’s a real treat to see them up close and racing. They normally have a race in the morning around 10 and another after lunch. If there is interest we can make an excursion out to the race course. We can either take one of our boats r I’m pretty sure I can borrow a center console. If we do the diesel briefing on Saturday before lunch, we should be able to make the afternoon race. The Sunday morning race is also workable. In any case, you can time your departure to see them on your way out. Please watch your wake in the vicinity of the log canoes. They are quite tender and deserve our courtesy.

Please give me your comments. I will consider any suggestions. The goal is for everyone to have a great weekend.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Lou, Are there grills available, I assume no grilling on boats? Might help to figure out the Saturday get together.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Grills can be made available. The one downside of the Harbour Inn is that there is not a good place for our Saturday gathering unless we rent space in the hotel. I have secured a place a short walk from the marina where we can do pretty much anything we want. Both indoor and outdoor cooking can be accommodated.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Grilling on your boat will not be needed for the Saturday gathering. However the policy at the marina was that propane grills are OK. That came from the dockmaster and it may be dockmaster dependent. I'm hoping the same Dockmaster returns this year. I know he has been asked. If he returns the grill policy should remain the same. If not I'll ask the new dockmaster well before the rendezvous and let everyone know. I don't want to ask before the Dockmaster starts for the season. I may not get the answer we want.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Carl wrote:Lou, Are there grills available, I assume no grilling on boats? Might help to figure out the Saturday get together.
:P
Reminds me of Cambridge.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

Just wanted to know since I am going Tuna fishing Fathers day weekend. Might have a few things to throw on the grill!!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Carl, are you volunteering to provide the entree for Saturday evening? I'll have mine grilled medium-rare.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

Our son is getting married the following weekend in Baltimore so our attendance maybe limited.I simply do not know our schedule. We will keep the Mary B on the creek and If we are in town ,we will come by 2 wheels, Of course I will have to get satchel bags for the bike to carry the Bar. St Michaels is a great town to have fun and I know Lou knows his way around town and will be a great Leader for the Albin Group. Carl, can you put some Tuna in my freezer that weekend if we are not there!!
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

I am going fishing, hopefully catching. You never know what the weather will bring. Going out of OI, and wind can always be a factor. Funny that you live the closest, but by boat you have a long ways to go, further than us! Hope you can make it at least one of the nights. I just hope my work schedule will allow us to stay the weekend.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Lou -
Just booked (geez where the time go?) Everything sounds great. I would tend to opt for catered cocktail hour, but have no problem with a pot luck. Speaker sounds wonderful - hope Mike doesn't corner him for the duration. As always - look forward to seeing everyone and I hope it's not 104 degrees in the shade!

Beth
Time Out Annapolis
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

REMINDER - Only two weeks left to reserve your slip at the Harbour Inn. Beginning April 1st they will no longer hold space for us. Even if your attendance is tentative make a reservation. Their cancellation policy is very liberal so there is no risk.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Can't make it but who can I count on to have a fried oyster sandwich for me at the Crab Claw?
:cry:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

jleonard wrote:Can't make it but who can I count on to have a fried oyster sandwich for me at the Crab Claw?
:cry:
Ahhh...the Crab Claw. That won't be a problem. :D
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Hey guys, can a Floridian crash your party? And does the Inn give a boat less attendee a break on the charges? How soon do we have to make a reservation? That oyster sandwich sounds too good to resist. Carole also wants to know if the Inn tolerates two small dogs? Chuck

Return to “Fifth Annual Chesapeake AOG Rendezvous 2011”