Wanted: Bow Rail for A28 TE

Anything and everything you have to sell. Supporting members only.

Moderators: DougSea, Nancy

verit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Home Port: Millers Island, MD

Hoping that a salvage yard has a bow rail that will fit. Otherwise, if anyone knows a good, affordable 316 stainless steel fabricator that might be a good option. Does anyone have the blueprints for these rails?

Thanks,
Tom

Millers Island
Maryland
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
OldDemps
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Ever think about deleting vs replacing the bow rail like Hinkley does on there boats?
Looks very nice on Hinkleys but I guess $1million floating should look nice.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
verit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

The prior owner had the same idea of removing the rails altogether. He began by sawing them off, and left jagged stainless stubs.

The problem is that we often have kids or inexperienced people aboard. Even with experienced crew, if there is a need to go the bow to handle lines or set anchor, lack of rails is an issue.

I will most likely finish off the deck without rails. If by chance some were to come along, they can be added to a clean deck. I'm not sure they even need to be an exact match. Part of my research is to see if I can get some measurements and shop around for a fabricator or potentially fit used rails from another boat. This later idea might not be the best way to go, aesthetically but it could work. Here is an example of something that might work: Northcoast boats may be using Albin's rail design.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Lauderdale

. Looks very nice on Hinkleys but I guess $1million floating should look nice...
Looking nice because of no bowrail?
Really...?
Form follows function. Boats with no railing looks less than useful to me. Like boats with no PFDs and no bilge pumps.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,250 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

verit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:46 pm
Part of my research is to see if I can get some measurements and shop around for a fabricator. Northcoast boats may be using Albin's rail design.
Your thoughts?
I'd get in touch with Northcoast. They were the last builder to produce the Albin 28TE. The Bristol area of RI is an area heavily indulged in boat building. Another source is Standish Boat Yard in Tiverton, RI. They were a premier Albin dealer and have the former Albin shop foreman on staff.

If you're considering not having a bow rail made, for safety, I'd be considering hand rails be installed on the the trunk similar as to the ones on the pilot house roof top.
Last edited by Pitou on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
"drinking rum before 10AM makes you a Pirate, not an Alcoholic"

~ 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Former boat ~
~ 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April / '04 ~ May / '13
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

I think a boat with no bow rails looks nekkid, but that's just me. It also looks really scary. I wouldn't have a boat without bow rails.
Nancy
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
Nancy Lee
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Rails are a necessity IMO and any fabricator worth his weight can fabricate inplace.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
verit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Hi All,
Thanks for all of your replies. Sorry that I couldn't reply to each of you sooner.
Pitou, I plan on giving Northcoast a call. and will update the group if I have any success.
Nancy, while I don't quite agree on the nekked part, I absolutely aee on the scary part!
Mike, fabricator is plan B - But, the challenge of bending, fitting and welding 316 stainless pipe in place might be a very challenging task. Nevertheless, I hope you're right.

Cheers!
Tom
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
Ben423
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

You'll find that there are plenty of shops around the Chesapeake that can custom fab a bow rail for you. It's not terribly difficult for an experienced railmaker.
verit
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I picked up a stainless steel bow rail that came off of a Carver 27 that looks like it may work. Unfortunately, the boat won't actually be in my possession until sometime in early April. I'll keep you posted on whether or not it will work.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

I just saw this post:
A sail boater banged my starboard side rail and bent it pretty good 5-6 years ago....
Standish (Tiverton) fixed the rail (at the sail boater's expense) and I can't tell that a repair was even done - it's perfect.

I never learn what the actual cost of the repair was but I am sure that it wasn't cheap....

Ken at Standish is the go-to for Albin repairs/parts as far as I am concerned.
When I purchased my 28TE in '02 he was selling twenty-five 28TE's a year at that time...

Return to “Yard Sale”