• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine Replacement On 1998 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

stevegalligan
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: West Newbury, MA

Engine Replacement On 1998 28TE

Post by stevegalligan »

I have a 1998 TE with a Peninsular that I am told needs to be replaced. Low compression and water in one of the cylinders.
It the exhaust was smoking at the end of the season which may have been clogged injectors. My mechanic suggests a new Yanmar 8LV320. Has anyone installed this as a replacement engine. My mechanic is not sure it will fit and will be taking measurements tomorrow. Any advice on engine replacement is appreciated. I am not planing to rebuild the Peninsular.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Engine Replacement On 1998 28TE

Post by Norseman »

Some have installed a 310 hp Volvo diesel.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
stevegalligan
Swabby
Swabby

Post by stevegalligan »

Thanks Norseman. I appreciate your quick reply.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Beyond the question of will it fit, that engine is EPA Tier 3. Though I do like the newer electronic engines as they are quieter and maybe a little more efficient with gph to hp, the age of your boat qualifies to be repowered with another mechanical engine. A Cummins recon 6bta 370 would be a good choice and a lot less money. A consult with Seaboard Marine would be well worth your while. Get in touch with Tony Athens for an initial consult. He can take you the whole way through the design inclusive of transmission/gear, shafting, propeller selection and exhaust design. As with any engine change, all of these will need redesign.

Seaboard Marine has worked through the above with a number of 28TE engine box Albins. They're a very good resource.

Seaboard Marine - sbmar.com
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
stevegalligan
Swabby
Swabby

Post by stevegalligan »

Thank you Kevin! This is most helpful. Much appreciated.
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

On the Seaboard marine site they have a video of a 370 Cummins install in a 28te
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
stevegalligan
Swabby
Swabby

Post by stevegalligan »

If I am replacing my peninsular 300 HP with the A Cummins recon 6bta 370 , will I have to replace my transmission, shaft and prop?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

stevegalligan wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 pm If I am replacing my peninsular 300 HP with the A Cummins recon 6bta 370 , will I have to replace my transmission, shaft and prop?
The odds are, most likely yes to a gear and prop replacement along with exhaust reworking too. There is a possibility that if compatible (size) the shaft can be reworked. These additional requirements add up.

This will be the case for any engine change whether it's Cummins, Yanmar, Volvo, Caterpillar, etc. This is why many boat owners just rebuild what they have.

I see that you're local to me. If you're interested, I'd be happy to take a look at your project to help provide some insight.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
oceanluv30
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by oceanluv30 »

I am in the market for a 28TE and have looked at a few older vessels that appear to need or soon would require a new engine. What is the appox cost of replacement including gear and prop?
acmdsl
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: None

Post by acmdsl »

FYI the 5.9L Cummins "Recon" engines are not Tier 3 compliant and therefore not emissions legal for repower, what's going on at Seaboard Marine is actually illegal.

The "recon" engines are production engines intended only for the replacement of an existing same engine (6BTA, 5.9L). Replacements of like for like are still allowed, replacements with another make (Yanmar, Volvo, Peninsular), model (series of engine) or type (gas to diesel) of engine are not.

A repower is the replacement of engine and gear with differerent than what vessel was previously propelled with. Any repower of a vessel requires that the engine meet Tier 3 emissions.

For Cummins this would be the 6.7L engines.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

acmdsl wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:17 am FYI the 5.9L Cummins "Recon" engines are not Tier 3 compliant and therefore not emissions legal for repower, what's going on at Seaboard Marine is actually illegal.

The "recon" engines are production engines intended only for the replacement of an existing same engine (6BTA, 5.9L). Replacements of like for like are still allowed, replacements with another make (Yanmar, Volvo, Peninsular), model (series of engine) or type (gas to diesel) of engine are not.

A repower is the replacement of engine and gear with differerent than what vessel was previously propelled with. Any repower of a vessel requires that the engine meet Tier 3 emissions.

For Cummins this would be the 6.7L engines.
Interesting first post.
Can you direct us to the compliance regulations for "marine" repowers and of older boats so that we all can learn?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Why not just replace it with another penninsular motor. They are still being built and serviced by udmarine
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

acmdsl,

What exactly are you referencing that would state that a "Tier for Tier" repower was "illegal" ?
The only thing that comes to my mind would be if the repower was funded via an EPA grant for emission reductions.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. Can you direct us to the compliance regulations for "marine" repowers and of older boats so that we all can learn?
Heard the same when I talked to the Yanmar team at a Florida boat show a few years ago: One for One.. :shock:

Here is a video on how to destroy a Yanmar 6LP: (Tax Dollars at work)

https://youtu.be/Kjy6mULtn0s
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”